Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can PropStick DB9 be used as a Serial Port — Parallax Forums

Can PropStick DB9 be used as a Serial Port

RegorRegor Posts: 19
edited 2006-05-07 10:44 in Propeller 1
Can the Serial port only be used for programming or can it be a general Serial port I can access at runtime?

Scenario would be:
Attach the serial port to my computer.
Launch the Editor and program the propeller chip.
Quit the Editor.
Reset the Propeller chip.
Launch Hypterminal to send commands to the running program.

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-05-06 01:16
    Both. See the demo program on the PropSTICK product page. You will want to save the program in EEPROM via the F11 key so you can reset without losing it.

-Phil
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-05-07 10:44
    Uh... apparently you should use the USB2SER interface as Beau's transistor RS-232 interface has a snag in duplex communication due to the reset circuit tied into I/O.

You might use a MAX3232 to avoid such with a generic RS-232. The Reset on that [noparse][[/noparse]see the PropSTICK] documentations, is separte.· Of course, you can simply buy a PropSTICK to do the job.

Since the Propeller is somewhat '5volt tolerant',· you might use the MAX232, but you would have to provide +5volts to it while inserting resistors to reduce the peak TTL/CMOS from 4.8V to optimally 3.3V.·
    [noparse][[/noparse]This gets a bit complicated and nobody had really do it yet.· Are you into exploring?]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 5/7/2006 10:53:15 AM GMT