Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Inventory Update; PropStick / Demo Board Status — Parallax Forums

Propeller Inventory Update; PropStick / Demo Board Status

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
edited 2006-05-05 22:05 in Propeller 1
Hello,

Current Propeller chip inventory situation:

(a)·P8X32A-D40 chips are sold out; more are expected in June.
(b) P8X32A-M44·has an·expected ship date before June.
(c) P8X32A-Q44 has an expected ship date before June.

All low-volume orders for the P8X32A-D40 are being filled if they were placed before last week.

If you are looking for a demo board or module approach, there are two solutions:

(a) Propeller Demo Board from Parallax·should be in stock·by June.
(b) PropStick Kit·- we have 75·more·available for order and·after that you will need to wait until June when we have more P8X32A-D40 chips.

The Propeller Starter Kit will likely not be available until June or July.

Therefore, if you want to get started with Propeller and you have not obtained any hardware, your best choice at the moment is to order one of our PropStick kits.

Ken Gracey
Parallax, Inc.

··

Comments

• CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2006-05-01 21:34
    WOW! sold out from the get go, good thing I ordered my propstick today.

I can't help but be curious how many that was.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Who says you have to have knowledge to use it?

I've killed a fly with my bare mind.
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2006-05-02 05:45
    Ken,

Does all this apply to your European stock too?

Will I be able to order 40pin DIP's and Propsticks from Antratek?

-Parsko
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-05-02 06:16
    Though Parallax may have already sold out, you can always try Mouser in the USA or one of the European distributors.

After all, that is where many of the chips went -- into distributor channels. Quite likely they bought a few more than ordered to gain a better price.

But, it seems like the PropStick was a last moment item. The distributors may not have it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2006-05-02 14:02
    I just checked Mouser and HVWtech... they both show a status of backordered or pre-order.
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-05-02 14:10
    Just a quick question: Can the PropStick kit be ordered w/out the propeller?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Just tossing my two bits worth into the bit bucket

KK
    ·
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-05-02 14:13
    Kaos Kidd said...
    Just a quick question: Can the PropStick kit be ordered w/out the propeller?

Not currently.

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
  • arnoarno Posts: 43
    edited 2006-05-02 15:01
    How can I pre-order the (a) Propeller Demo Board from Parallax

thanks

Arno
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2006-05-02 15:07
    Arno,

Soon. We usually enable pre-ordering when we're within a couple of weeks of shipment. Being experienced with "out of stock" situations, we've learned that our customers have a threshold of tolerance that's no more than several weeks to a month. In other words, if I told you "Arno, order today and we'll ship it in two weeks" you'd be likely to respond "okay, Ken, no problem - I'll place my order" but if I said "Arno, order today and it'll be a month or maybe more" you might reply "let me know when you're closer to having stock and I'll order then".

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-05-02 15:15
    PropSTICK seems the best early start right now.
    It is a full kit and apparently about 70 are available.

I just backordered MAX3232 chips from Mouser.
    Without those being available for 5 weeks, my life just got a bit complicated.

I have 5 Propellers, but I am sorting out how to program them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • arnoarno Posts: 43
    edited 2006-05-02 15:15
    yeah.gif OK I will wait for it cry.gif

It can be nice to, some day, receive a gift (yeah I know I will pay for it), You know you order something longtime ago (so you forgot about it), then suprise hop.gif a littlenew toy just delivred by the mailman
  • Tim-MTim-M Posts: 522
    edited 2006-05-02 15:38
    Just curious about this... How many DIP Propellers were produced and sold in this first run?

Tim
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2006-05-02 18:10
    I believe over 400. The DIPs we just shipped were the product of the final 6-wafer·enginering lot we ran at the foundry. One wafer got almost entirely wasted, as it was·diced and packaged into 10 ceramic DIPs without being backgrinded first so that it could have gone into more plastic packages, as well. That left 5 wafers: 1 was packaged into PDIP and 2 each were packaged into LQFP and QFN. The one PDIP wafer yielded over 400 chips which are all shipped out now. We've got 10,000 more PDIPs coming at the end of the month, along with 20,000 each of LQFP and QFN. If we had known the desire for PDIPs was so strong, we would have had three initial wafers packaged as such. I'm hoping that we'll get more PDIPs in the early second half of this month, so we can ship those out, too.
    Tim-M said...
    Just curious about this... How many DIP Propellers were produced and sold in this first run?

Tim
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Tim-MTim-M Posts: 522
    edited 2006-05-02 18:42
    Thanks Chip, that is much more information than I expected you to share! It's also an honor to have you spend any of your time directly with the those of us participating in these discussion forums, and also a 'tell' of where where your heart and true values lie. It really means a lot.

Tim
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2006-05-04 20:27
    Hello,

For those who have not had a chance to get started with Propeller, I'm providing a stock update on the PropStick. We have 35 PropSticks left in our inventory. Until we receive more Propeller chips from the foundry and packaging company, these 35 units (1:29 PM, Pacific Time May 4, 2006) will be your only way of getting started until more stock arrives (end of this month or early June). I anticipate that these 35 PropStick units will sell out by Tuesday, so I'm providing a bit of notice for those who have yet to get started.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Stan671Stan671 Posts: 103
    edited 2006-05-05 16:00
    I have an order in for a Prop chip and a USB2SER.· How is the backorder on the USB2SER adapters going?· Will we have to wait until June for this kind of order to be filled?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Stan Dobrowski
  • Eric SmithEric Smith Posts: 6
    edited 2006-05-05 20:24
    I'm curious as to what process geometry is used, and what wafer size?

Best regards,
    Eric
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2006-05-05 21:21
    Eric,

The process geometry is .35um The die size is about 6mm square

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Eric SmithEric Smith Posts: 6
    edited 2006-05-05 22:05
    Thanks Beau! I'm guessing 200 mm wafers?

Best regards,
    Eric