Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Getting sooner — Parallax Forums

Getting sooner

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2006-05-01 16:26 in Propeller 1
I just got an email from Parallax that my order was shipped.· This would be my 5 Propeller chips.
So I wonder if the IDE is nearing release?

Please don't feel that I am pushing.
As I have said before, I would rather wait for the usual Parallax excellence.

I still have to accumulate all the other parts [noparse][[/noparse]the 3.3 regulators, crystals, max3232 chips, EEPROMs]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Comments

• El PaisaEl Paisa Posts: 375
    edited 2006-04-29 16:51
    So I received too an email from Parallax that my order was shipped.
    I hope the SPIN will follows shortly.
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-04-29 17:12
    When did you guys Preorder?

I Preordered 2 Propellers on April 8. and have not gotten any message, yet...
    (Just checked)

I wonder how many have preordered and for how many chips...

Waiting is agony...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-04-29 17:15
    We drew your name from a hat at an after-hours party, Gadgetman, and have decided to drive you nutty by making you wait!

Not.· smilewinkgrin.gif·

You can always give the sales folks a call on Monday and confirm your order with them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    edited 2006-04-29 17:44
    I knew there was a good reason...

Hope it was a good party...

smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-04-29 17:54
    Are you kidding, we're Parallax -- we know how to party!

Everyone knows I'm full of baloney as I live 400 miles from the office, and I was actually helping one of my friends move last night.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • jcpolejcpole Posts: 92
    edited 2006-04-30 03:51
    I never received an email message about shipping either, and my pre-order was entered about 5 minutes after Parallax opened on April 3.

Is it likely that this means that my order did not ship for some reason?

Then the next logical question would be whether or not Parallax has sold out of the initial run yet? Assuming the worst, is it still going to be possible to get these chips without an extended restocking delay?

:-(

Jamie

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --
    Jamie C. Pole
    Principal Consultant
    J.C. Pole & Associates, Inc.
    http://www.jcpa.com/

Post Edited (jcpole) : 4/30/2006 4:30:40 AM GMT
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-04-30 10:36
    Well, for what it's worth -- I ordered the first day (April 3rd in California) and maybe the first hour. With California having daylight savings, I am not sure. I believe it was around midnight here.

Hmmm... The e-mail doesn't actually say 'your Propeller order', but that is all that I am expecting.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • El PaisaEl Paisa Posts: 375
    edited 2006-04-30 14:06
    Still I have not· received any explanations why if the propeller chips are shipped out now why not release the SPIN NOW?

I have my breadboard ready to start having fun.

You could released it in the way it is now and the improvements later.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2006-04-30 14:13
    Hello El Paisa,

We will probably post it on Monday, before you receive the Propeller chips.

Documentation will also be posted. I'll look into these details Monday morning at Parallax.

- Ken
    edited 2006-05-01 08:17
    The sillyest thing is that I still haven't gotten my EEPROMs.
    (Have the regulators and a variety of crystals. Have transistors if I can't get a MAX3232 chip in 3.3volt.)

The five Propellers arrived about 30 minutes ago, but I have been waivering between the PropStick Kit, Mouser in the USA and Futurlec in Australia because I wanted to get an I2C Real Time Clock into my setup. [noparse][[/noparse]Philips has one with 240 bytes of RAM].

Well, I will try to do it locally today.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Kramer) : 5/1/2006 8:28:52 AM GMT
    edited 2006-05-01 08:51
    You don't NEED EEPROMs to start programming, if I remember correctly...
    You can still program and download to the Propeller, you just won't be able to use the 'store to EEPROM' option(or whatever it's called)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-05-01 13:34
    I did notice that there are TWO download options: to RAM and to EEPROM.

I guess I should just set up a breadboard and get ready to try.· NO EEPROMs at the local electronics supply and NO MAX3232 [noparse][[/noparse]the guy was happily selling me the MAX232 and saying my schematic had a typo!· All this was discussed in Chinese no less.]

So, it looks like the 'very basic' version for me to begin with.· I am sure it won't affect my learning curve [noparse][[/noparse]and it might even help it].

I did notice that all the address lines on the 24LC256 were grounded.· This implies that the I2C bus to them cannot be shared.

Is that really so?· Or can the IDE allow us to mandate a chip select configuration? {This may be my first request for an IDE improvement and I haven't even seen it yet!}

All things considered, Parallax has eliminated at least one blue Monday from the calendar.· Happy May Day to all in Bolivia, etc.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2006-05-01 14:10
    The download to RAM or EEPROM option is handy; while testing you can download to RAM and try things without affecting what is in the local EEPROM.· Once you're happy and want your code to work stand-alone, you can download it to the EEPROM.

The address lines on the EEPROM are grounded to set its address to %000 -- you can connect other devices (or additional EEPROMs at different addresses) to these lines without problems.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2006-05-01 16:13
    Thanks Jon,
    I obviously have got my SPI [noparse][[/noparse]requires extra pins to enable] interface muddled with the I2C [noparse][[/noparse]which uses a software address to the slave]. The I2C manages to keep a lot more I/O pins available [noparse][[/noparse]3 least three in this instance could be as high as 8].

FYI, I am mainly referring to the PropStick's documented schematic. The PropStick's schematic is a very well thought out design, it includes all the componets and allows the IDE to reset the processor via the serial port.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2006-05-01 16:26
    Phil did a nice job with the PropStick; and the reset thing is a requirement so that the Propeller's EEPROM can be loaded into the chip by the IDE (this lets you verify everything before disconnecting from the IDE and running stand-alone).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams