Ok, this is going to be a rough one for me. But, to make sense I'll have to give some bg.
I was trying out Acroname's Brainstem 1.0. At first glance, it seemed very very attractive to me - especially the fact that it is x-plat and one could use C, C++, C#, ASM, TEA. So I went ahead and bought their product w/ a bunch of sensors and what not.
During the course of learning, development cycle, I faced a HUGE HUGE problem getting relevant information. That is both documentation and application notes, examples, the usual drill. That proved to be a problem - I'd spend hrs and hrs on weekends digging up code in their forums (yes, it is ALL in their forums and site - PAIN), examples and how-tos - just to getting started.·
Don't get me wrong, I'm avid researcher and digger-upper, but I would also expect to be able to get started and going ASAP. Once you get started, I would expect to learn more by digging into forums, googles. additional resources.
So, what are you saying dude?
I know Parallax has always been very good abt documentation, examples, how-tos, app notes, etc and providing one-stop-get-started-guide. I would like to stress that the documentation I got for Basic Stamp was the best that could have happened to me when I was getting into uCs. I want Parallax to carry on that same model and extending it further.
- document the propeller spin objects extensively in the guide with ready-to-run simple examples
- simple to read and follow introductory begginer's content.
- provide extensive application notes that can be easily assembled and tried out
- do not ask begginers to go to the forum to get started. Forums are an excellent resource for someone who has already gotten their feet wet. And, should only be considered as an additional resource. Forums are NOT cannot replace good documentation
- Provide an online circuit cellar for propeller that people can submit to and discuss. I have bought so many Basic Stamp 3P cookbooks and half of the circuits are buggy. An online cellar will help rectify that problem due to the discussion element in it.
There might be many more that people here and at PArallax (are already tihnking of) can think of.
But, these above bulleted factors are the #1 issues I had w/ Brainstem folks and forced me to put the uC on eBay. I will probably never go back there due to the utter lack of organized information. More information that is disorganized is not as useful as little information that is well organized.