Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller + Wearable Computer — Parallax Forums

Propeller + Wearable Computer

ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
edited 2006-04-08 14:54 in Propeller 1
I'm not that advanced in the game yet.

Propeller w/ Video out to TV is a cool feature that can be extended into building a wearable computer w/ eyepiece. Think of all the useful sensors that can be hooked up to the propeller, the RF Tx/Rx components to communicate w/ the homebase, a rigged up Video Camera's eyepiece acting as a video monitor...

anyone up for it - at this point I can only throw this idea - can't do much hands-on
[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-04-04 16:48
    If one could find a wearable HUD -- like used by military helicopter pilots -- all kinds of fun things are possible.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-04-04 16:52
    Google is my friend: http://www.motionresearch.com/sportvue_pro.php

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • inakiinaki Posts: 262
    edited 2006-04-04 17:02
    Suddenly I have found an application for my Cy-Visor Glasses !
    But I would trade it for a Propeller anyway !

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
    edited 2006-04-04 20:26
    Jon, motionresearch product is cool.
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-04-05 06:20
    You also need a small keyboard, right?

http://freedominput.com/mainsite/index.php
    (Look at the bottom left of the page)

All we need to do is to get the Parallax BT module to work with the Propeller...
    (I just ordered this keyboard, and already have the BT module... )

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
    edited 2006-04-07 12:55
    I like the freedom-mini-kb. Looks perfect.
    edited 2006-04-07 14:06
    And in a few days we'll know if it is indeed perfect...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-04-08 13:24
    The mail must be a little less incompetent than usual, as the Freedom Mini keyboard arrived today.
    As of yet, I've only connected it to my Apple iBook (which complained that it couldn't recognise the layout, but was happy to let me select one) where it seems to work OK...

Next up is my(well the office gave it to me, so... ) Nokia 6230, and after that, I'll fire up a PC, dig out the BS2p and the Parallax BT module and see what happens...

A couple of details that may not be mentioned on the website:
    1. It uses 2 x AAA batteries, and while drawing up to 60mA when being used, it is good for 90Hours contiguous use, or 1000 Hours standby on one set, so powersaving functions are pretty decent.
    2. Pressing [noparse][[/noparse]Num]+[noparse][[/noparse]Link] will switch on/off an orange backlight in the keys.
    3. It may be the height/width of a creditcard, but it's also .5" thick.
    4. It has a wide clamp on the back which is meant to be used to clamp it onto cell-phones or the likes.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-04-08 13:53
    Gadgetman -

Since this thread is apparently dedicated to "Propeller + wearable" (computers implied), and according to your last post:

"4. It has a wide clamp on the back which is meant to be used to clamp it onto cell-phones or the likes."

How is that baby keyboard going to feel after 20 minutes clipped to your lower lip smile.gif
    (I sure hope his humor button isn't broken!)

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
    edited 2006-04-08 14:19
    About the same as a normal mousetrap, as the spring feels about as strong...

This keyboard will definitely be a great help when I get the 'car computer' system up and running.
    (I was originally planning to use my BS2p for that, but the Propeller is just so much better suited. As I already have a Palm with BT support I had planned to use it as both Keyboard and Screen, I got hold of the Parallax BT-module. Then things got in the way, my old car was backed over by a dump-truck and generally... )

Now back to reading the manual for the BT-module...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-04-08 14:33
    Gadgetman -

I'd be tempted to await the official environmental testing results, unless I missed them somewhere along the line. Automotive use provides about the worst, common environment for any microcontroller, and it may prove quite a test for any new piece of silicone.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
    edited 2006-04-08 14:54
    What kind of sissy-talk is that?
    smile.gif

I'm not thinking of controlling anything important in my car with it, so if it breaks, well...
    (I'll be mounting central locking, variable-period intervals on the wipers, there's the thousand or so SMT yellow-green LEDs, testing for broken light-bulbs, warning about low liquid levels in the 3 washing-liquid tanks, maybe a fuel usage register with warnings if usage patterns changes. Useful but not critical)

Besides, wearable computers have to take just as much, possibly even more abuse...
    (Humidity, rapid temperature-changes, being dropped... )
    At least my setup will give it access to a BIG source of power...
    (Try lugging around a 60AH 12V battery in a fanny-pack...)

But to be on the safe side, I just registered a preorder of 2 Propellers...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔