Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What else besides the chip? — Parallax Forums

What else besides the chip?

John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
edited 2006-04-01 17:10 in Propeller 1
With pre-order of chips only hours away, I'm wondering if there will be (or have I missed) any schematics/guides that will allow us to get a chip and start using it while we wait for the propeller development and demo boards to become available?

I know that there have been allusions that a home grown propeller clip would be easy to do, but haven't seen a schematic or other required support circuitry.

I'm guessing it's been posted and I missed it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
John R.

8 + 8 = 10

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-03-31 22:54
    The schematics are very simple (power, gnd, 2 wires for serial com and an optional 2 wires for EEPROM), be assured that suggested methods of connections will be provided when the IDE becomes publicly availible.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    6+6=10 (Long live the duodecimal system!)
    edited 2006-03-31 23:03
    Ok found a schem for you,·download Putting a Whole New Spin on Embedded Control.·Open the pdf in the zip file and on page 2 is a hookup schematic.

Oh and connect the Vdd and Vss on the right hand side of the chip as well (these are not shown as connected in the pdf, probably for clarity purposes), and as stated in the previous post, the EEPROM is optional.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    6+6=10 (Long live the duodecimal system!)

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 3/31/2006 11:12:22 PM GMT
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2006-04-01 01:22
    Hey guys,

I've provided the drawings below. Keep in mind there are variations (internal v. external clock/crystal; run from RAM, use an EEPROM for code). Since you'll have access to the P8X32AD-40 before the entire Starter Kit is ready, you'll need to get familiar with these connections.

Also, a word for the wise. Unless you want to deal with the serial port connection shown below, order your USB2SER from us right away. Once we start shipping Propellers we'll be out of USB2SERs and in a backorder situation on that product for a long time. Just buy it today while it is in stock and save yourself a future headache.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    948 x 2310 - 62K
    834 x 2346 - 51K
  • danieldaniel Posts: 231
    edited 2006-04-01 01:42
    Ken,

Would it be possible to clarify what is to be·included in the Propeller·Development Kit?· I might have overlooked this discussion elsewhere, but a quick search did not find it.

Daniel
    edited 2006-04-01 01:53
    Daniel,

Sure:

Propeller Demo Board (built-in Propeller)
    USB cable
    Propeller Manual

But keep in mind the kit might take a while after the chips are released. This part is so easy to use with a USB2SER I'd not get too caught up in waiting for the Starter Kit.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2006-04-01 05:15

Ken,

What's the chances of Parallax building the serial adapter for the Propeller like ya'll have done for the BS1. After looking at the schematic for the BS1 serial adapter, it looks to me that making one for the Propeller should be a simple and cheap solution.

BS1 Serial Adapter Schematic

Thanks,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
    "OEM NMEA GPS Module" Now available on ebay for only $17.49
    http://www.allsurplus.net/Axiom/

Post Edited (Mike Cook) : 4/1/2006 5:19:07 AM GMT
    edited 2006-04-01 05:24
    Mike,

No plans for that yet, but it is a possibility. It depends on whether or not you'd like to have a Professional Development Board for Propeller, a through-hole Propeller Proto Board, 3.3V sensors (Ping, Memsic, etc.) and other related products first.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-04-01 05:29

Ken,

Might be a chance for some of the 'smart guys' on this forum to make some cash by producing these as a cheap alternative to the USB adapter.

Mike

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike

edited 2006-04-01 05:46
    Ken,

Any info on what type of crystal is needed for the Propeller?

Load Capacitance: specified or series?

I've found these at www.mouser.com:

20pF································ Series

Thanks Again,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike

• John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2006-04-01 15:11
    Ken;

Thanks for the info, and the heads up on the USB2SER.

I am assuming that the only way to use the current Pro Dev Board would be to mount the Propellor on the bread board, and use the USB2SER (or home grown serial connection) and build up everything else required on the bread board.

Am I also correct in thinking that we'd need an additional resistor inline with any of the input push butons, etc. to drop things down to 3.3 volts? Are we better off staying away from using the ancilliary devices on the PDB (and just using the bread board)?

Or is all this a mute point, and while we can "pre-order" the chips, by the time they ship will the demo and development boards be available?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
  • mike101videomike101video Posts: 43
    edited 2006-04-01 16:59
    Is there a development environment avialable. It looks like putting the hardware together with the chip will be easy. But do we need a IDE/assembler to make it useful??? i don't see any downloads anywhere??

PS - This looks like a fantastic device for a project I have underway using the javelin.

Mike
    edited 2006-04-01 17:05
    Yes there is an IDE, it will be made availible for download by the time the first chips start shipping.

If you poke your nose around some of the threads started by Jon Williams, and download his Nuts and Volts articles availible for download from the Propeller webpage, you will get an idea of the look and feel of the IDE.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    6+6=10 (Long live the duodecimal system)
  • mike101videomike101video Posts: 43
    edited 2006-04-01 17:10
    I've been looking at the articles - really help.

Thx

Mike