Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to become an eval dev/user of Propeller — Parallax Forums

How to become an eval dev/user of Propeller

ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
edited 2006-03-30 16:48 in Propeller 1
Sorry if this was already asked elsewhere in this forum. Please point me to it if so.

I was a loyal BS-II user and then hibernated and went about many other ways. I recently learned abt Propeller. Looks very impressive and sounds very intriguing.

I am wondering if Parallax have any eval programs that will allow beta testers to dogfood your prod before it goes live. If so, what are the eligibility criteria. I would definitely love to being a part of the dogfooding grp.
·
Please can someone shed some light into this
·
Thanks
ALIBE

"Any small object accidentally dropped, goes and hides behind a larger object - Nagi"
·

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2006-03-30 16:00
    Hello Alibe,

Such a test is already underway with 30 customers, 40 distributors and our internal staff. The production chip design is finished. Most of the testing at this point is for the IDE, object development and the demo board hardware. Therefore, your first chance to get involved is when the chips are made available for sale. There's a strong possibility customers will be able to buy DIP chips before the Starter Kit is released.

And most importantly, welcome back!

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
    edited 2006-03-30 16:21
    Ken,
    thanks for the reply.

With re to IDE - any plans to expose or leverage Microsoft-Visual Studio 2005 Integration Program (VSIP) for IDE? And, any plans around C Compiler for Propeller?

I'm looking forward to deep-diving into propeller.

·
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-03-30 16:32
    The architecture of the propeller doesn't lend itself very well to C programs, there already exists an interpreter for the propeller called Spin, that is very ellegant and quite powerful. Look at some of the examples in this forum for Spin programs, it borrows alot from other languages but is a language of its own.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2006-03-30 16:41
    Hey Alibe,

No plans for a C compiler yet, but one could be made. It would be worthwhile to comb this forum for examples before Spin is written off as an alternative.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-03-30 16:44
    Spin looks cool - it's sort of like a conglomerate of Pascal + C + Basic + ASM - all together.

I saw somewhere in this forum that spin in "indent sensitive" - any plans to changing that. If it remains to be that way, will the IDE have some sort of intuitive indent visualizers so devs can easily acknowledge. It's kinda hard to keep the code indented in a certain way - especially when devs have their own programming style.

IMHO.

·
    edited 2006-03-30 16:48
    Ken, absolutely will surf thru.

Spin looks very powerful and w/ all the objects already written and available, it definitely is very attractive.

Since I'm used to C/C++/ASM so much, it would be natural if propeller had that support. Having said that Spin looks very Pascal'ly to me and would not imagine learning it would be that bad at all.

Now, if I can only get a dev board in my hands [noparse]:)[/noparse]