Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop voltages process — Parallax Forums

Prop voltages process

Mark AMark A Posts: 2
edited 2006-03-28 06:23 in Propeller 1
I'm just curious, as I am a into chip design

What process is the Propellor chip made on? I am wondering in general, and also am wondering as it relates to running 5V on a 3.3V part.

Mark

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-03-26 11:33
    Mark,
    I think if you search a little, you will find that the Propellor has been 'accidentally' used with 5volt and that there is some belief that only a resistor may be needed for mating 5v to 3.3v.

Regarding process, I personally don't know. In last day or two, it seems like everyone 'in the know' on the Propeller forum has stopped posting. I suspect it is 'crunch time' in order to get all the documentation and programing pulled together.

So..... please stay tuned.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 3/26/2006 3:21:27 PM GMT
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,545
    edited 2006-03-26 14:10
    Mark,

The current Propeller CMOS Process is 0.35um.

As far as 5V inputs to the Propeller, a 1K to 10K current limiting resistor has been used without any ill effects.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • william chanwilliam chan Posts: 1,326
    edited 2006-03-27 10:30
    In comparison, what is the CMOS Process of the SX48?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.fd.com.my
    www.mercedes.com.my
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 2
    edited 2006-03-28 06:23
    I think the SX are all .35 as well. But it's a different process that's meant to allow 5V, I would imagine.

On a different note, I didn't know the first Ubicom IP2000 parts ~120 MIPS spec was actually an EFFECTIVE number from all the different threads. I guess I never looked at the parts in detail. Lame.

What I'd rather like to see is just a single-thread fully deterministic true 100 MIPS processor, but with a real instruction set, etc (inlike an SX)