Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
NEwbie Sticky section//download section? — Parallax Forums

NEwbie Sticky section//download section?

steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
edited 2005-11-13 21:18 in General Discussion
Hey ITGUY (and whomever else)....

I'm on a few other forum type sites for 'other' things (Jeeps and such) and many of them have a Newbie/FAQ section.
Basically it's a bunch of stickies with Frequently asked questions....

So, you'd put in there a blurb about serin/serout and the baudmodes....using the 22kohm resistor etc...

Also, these other sites don't allow users to attach files to their messages....they have a downloads section that is used as a file depot!
That way, changes can be made rather easily....and ALSO, if someone is searching for say...Jons Baudmode Template, it would be in there as opposed to having to do a search for it.
-- I know Jons posted that template a couple dozen times since the forum was started....so it'd also reduce the amount of repetition files of different versions!!

Anyhow, I still think this forum is doing an EXCELLENT job!! But would love to see a few things added!
not that they're needed...but it might reduce the newbie factor of lazy reading! [noparse];)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."

Comments

• Jim EwaldJim Ewald Posts: 733
    edited 2005-11-13 18:11
    Steve,

First off - thanks for your comments. I really enjoy hearing (good or bad) what members think of this site. The file area is something that has been on the drawing board for a while. Jon W. was looking for this feature last year and he is still pinging me about it now. I am back on the project and have found quite a few things on the current 'to-do' list.

We have to clean up the text of outbound emails. The mangled tags have to go.

The file area is really needed for the reasons you (and others) have outlined. All of the file attachments are adding bulk to the database that we could avoid with the file area.

Eye candy (emoticons) should be an option in the member options. One should be able to disable them if they wish.

The search engine is "developmentally disabled". We put a Google search appliance on-line last week and found things in the forums like never before. We're working on making that a permanent fixture.

Lots of other - little - things are on the list too, but those are the biggies. I just hope I have enough time to finish all of them before the next project hits my desk (looking over shoulder...)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jim

Parallax IT Dept.
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-11-13 19:30
    Any option of having an HTML based PBasic help file online?
    that way people could directly reference a URL that points to the PULSIN command or SERIN/SEROUT....

That's definately a gravy option....but I think having 'basic newbie stickies' would reduce the repititious questions being asked!...well, maybe! haha

Thanks ITGUY!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • Jim EwaldJim Ewald Posts: 733
    edited 2005-11-13 21:18
    I'm not sure that we can do that with the Forums. Another way to attack it would be to place the files on our www.parallax.com site and then publish a link to the index page. That would allow one to look at code and still see reference material in a seperate browser window. I'll chat with the engineers tomorrow and see if I can obtain the souce for the PBasic help file.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jim

Parallax IT Dept.