Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RadioShack USB to serial cable — Parallax Forums

RadioShack USB to serial cable

Daniel LerewDaniel Lerew Posts: 2
edited 2005-10-17 16:16 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hello out there,

I have searched the forums for an answer to this problem, so please excuse me if I missed the answer.

I am trying to get my homework board working with an aging Pentium II system. System is a Gateway G6-350.
I have had success using Radio Shacks model 26-183 Usb to serial cable on my laptop which uses WinXp.

After installing the drivers for the RS cable n the Gateway machine device manager recognizes the adapter and reports that it is working ok. It is reported as com 5. When I try to identify my stamp module, it sees com 5 but has a no for loopback and yes for echo. It does not see the stamp. I have tried the fix listed in the WAM manual on page 314 and have tried updated drivers from radioshack.com. I am running Windows 98 on the Gateway machine.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan freaked.gif

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-10-17 14:51
    Daniel,

·· Have you disabled the FIFO Buffers for that port?· Which version of the Stamp Editor are you using?· How are you powering the Homework Board?· You should definately try a new battery if you're using a 9V battery.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Daniel LerewDaniel Lerew Posts: 2
    edited 2005-10-17 16:16
    Chris,

··· Thanks for the tips. Turns out I had a flakey battery. Dug out a power supply and all is ok. Doh!· Should have known better.· Thanks for the quick response.

Dan