Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Curriculum in a box? — Parallax Forums

Curriculum in a box?

Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
edited 2005-07-15 22:11 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I'm not a home schooler but my reasonable bright 13 year old has some interest in learning to program. I figure if·I take care of the
·wiring,·I can teach her·the electronics along the way.· I have multiple stamps, boards, sensors and even a BOE Bot. Plenty of hardware.·I·glanced at·the WAM documentation and it seems a good place to start. My question is am I aiming too high? Is there possibly a more appropriate curriculum I could obtain? I'm concerned that if I· don't appropritely match level interest to·level of·difficulty, I could·miss a golden opportunity.

Comments

• edited 2005-06-28 02:41
    That's the right place to start, and she'll likely do just fine with the wiring too.
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2005-06-28 04:22
    Philip,
    I run summer camps for 12-15 yo, and cover much of PBASIC in a few days. It's a great way to start, and very interactive which makes it even more exciting.

To accompany Andy's text, I've made up some presentations that sometimes expand on the programming concepts.
    http://imsinet.casa.siu.edu/wam/

http://imsinet.casa.siu.edu/bs2_tutorial/

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel

Electronic Systems Technologies
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale
    Personal Links - ·Lot of BASIC Stamp info
    and
    SelmaWare Solutions
    StampPlot Pro Version 3 Release 4
    Graphical Data Acquisition for your Micro and Imagination!
    Now allows additional controls to be added, or developed.
    ·
  • Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
    edited 2005-06-28 05:57
    Thanks so much for the feedback. I 'll add these links to my favs. Hope to get to started soon. Just visited your Link Very nicely done with Dawg Zooka.· Beautiful drive platform. Thanks again.

Post Edited (Philip Gamblin) : 6/28/2005 6:17:38 AM GMT
  • John KauffmanJohn Kauffman Posts: 653
    edited 2005-07-13 17:01
    I use WAM with my intro course for ages 12-15 & it works very well.

I think the most important advice is to not get too hung up on the more advanced parts of chapters. Especially in the first half of the book, if they get the first several activities in a chapter adn then get stumped, consider moving to hte next chanpter. you can alwasy swing back and do all the activities on a second work-through.

I have a doc with scores of ideas (no solutions) for extra-study projects a student can try, Let me know if you want it.
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2005-07-15 22:11
    Any 13 year old that gets a BOE & WAM book is really lucky. I wish I'd had these types of tools when I was that age!

Ryan