Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using Calculator LCD's — Parallax Forums

Using Calculator LCD's

pollackpollack Posts: 9
edited 2005-05-25 22:28 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I want to create a project that has some kind of LCD output but the only problem is that i dont want to buy the parallax lcd because i dont want to spend that kind of money for it. i was wondering if there is any way of using a calculator lcd to do my project instead of the parallax one.

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-05-11 13:17
    No, not really. Calculators generally have special chips inside that include the LCD drivers (complicated) for those displays.

That said, you can find low-cost Hitachi HD44780-compatible LCDs nearly anywhere (an electronics store in my area sells them [noparse][[/noparse]used, but in perfect condition]·for $5). We have plenty of examples for connecting standard parallel LCDs to all of our controllers.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • bobledouxbobledoux Posts: 187
    edited 2005-05-11 13:29
    Old laser printers also used these LCD units.

Try Allelectronics.com for cheap units.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-05-11 14:08
    Yes, and www.bgmicro.com is a good place to look for them as well.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-05-11 14:58
    Or here: http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/products.asp?dept=1039·just be sure you can find the spec sheet on the internet before purchasing any of them to be sure you can hook·it up properly. Items G15263 and G13745 appear to be your best bet for easy hookup, if you need help finding a spec sheet let me know.
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2005-05-12 22:37
    Paul Baker said...
    Or here: http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/products.asp?dept=1039 just be sure you can find the spec sheet on the internet before purchasing any of them to be sure you can hook it up properly. Items G15263 and G13745 appear to be your best bet for easy hookup, if you need help finding a spec sheet let me know.

Besides the obvious Google, do you have any specific sites you check for Spec sheets? Just curious.

Thanks!

Ryan
    edited 2005-05-12 23:26
    There are a few "one stop" spec sheet sites (I don't use any on a regular basis, many require registration which I avoid unless nesessary), one of them was disclosed in the Sandbox forum about a month ago. Depending on what product it is, I goto various sources. You could say that Im a professional researcher since each patent application I work on requires finding "existing art" to make a determination on patentability on each case. It is somewhat a black art being able to get relevent results without wading through excessive junk hits, and something I cannot comprehesively teach anyone, but finding spec sheets on a specific part is a little easier than finding "a memory that is controlled using X technique" (since you may call it technique X, but I may know it as technique Y, IBM is notorious for naming already well know concepts in thier own terminology, ie IBM still uses the term DASD instead of hard drive). But I digress, for discrete chips, I typically goto digikey or mouser, assuing they carry the part (www.findchips.com will say whether they do or not). EarthLCD has many specs on different LCD screens, but they mainly cater towards panels. Like I said it all depends on what Im looking for.
    edited 2005-05-13 00:13
    Here is the link to the Sandbox forum post I refered to.
  • Gary D.Gary D. Posts: 37
    edited 2005-05-25 22:28
    ·Wow, Im surprised you even bought a stamp at all. Parallax has a lcd for only 29.95 Not to mention ITS SERIAL.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27976
    pollack said...
    i dont want to spend that kind of money
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    There are 10 kinds of people....

Those who know binary and those who Don't.