Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Servo limits? — Parallax Forums

Servo limits?

addisonhammeraddisonhammer Posts: 2
edited 2005-04-27 14:01 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I have a Question concerning the power output limits of the Paralax (Futaba) Continuous Rotation Servos. I plan on using the servos to wind up a spool of string, with the string stretching (storing energy in)·a fairly hard spring. I am fairly certain that i can use a larger or smaller spool to give the servo enough mechanical advantage, but it would be incredibly helpful to know about how much work these servos can do per second. Any information woulf be greatly appreciated.

Addison Hammer

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-04-25 14:59
    Addison,

·· Is it the torque you're looking for, or the rotation speed?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-04-26 19:16
    Remember that hobby servos like Futaba S-148s aren't really desinged for much loading -- I think you'll end up stripping gears in your application. If you have to use a servo, you might consider an external gear set or chain drive to bump the torque. Checkout www.servocity.com.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • addisonhammeraddisonhammer Posts: 2
    edited 2005-04-27 14:01
    Tech Support and Mr. Willians,

Thank you for your advice, www.servocity. com had exactly the information·I was looking for,·I just couldn't quite figure out how to word it correctly.
    Stall Torque (4.8V): 44 oz/in. (3.2kg.cm)
    Stall Torque (6.0V): 57 oz/in. (4.1kg.cm)
    Thanks again for your help, and I will be sure to come back if·I need anything else for this project.

Addison

Post Edited (addisonhammer) : 4/27/2005 2:12:40 PM GMT