Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Boe-Bot Kit from RadioShack — Parallax Forums

Boe-Bot Kit from RadioShack

Code MonkeyCode Monkey Posts: 26
edited 2005-04-20 19:39 in Robotics
Hi All,

Is the Boe-Bot kit from RadioShack the exact same one you get from Parallax's web site? The price difference between the two is pretty significant, which gives me the impression that the RadioShack version is not the whole kit.

Thanks,
-Marc

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-03-23 16:26
    It's the same as our Summer Special kit -- it includes the WAM book and a Homework board, plus parts for the experiments.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • edited 2005-03-23 16:34
    The Boe-Bot kit from Radio Shack is identical to the Boe-Bot kit from Parallax.· It's the same as this kit here:

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28132

There is no difference whatsoever in the parts.· They both have the BASIC Stamp and Board of Education, chassis, servos, mechanical parts, Robotics with the Boe-Bot text etc.

Post Edited (Andy Lindsay (Parallax)) : 3/23/2005 4:43:26 PM GMT
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-03-23 17:03
    Jon, I think the kit you referred to is the $79 special from Radio Shack. They are also selling the BOE-BOT for $150 (a very nice price, really).

And Andy, thanks for your answer, I was wondering if RS was selling the "complete" kit with BS2, BOE, etc.
  • Code MonkeyCode Monkey Posts: 26
    edited 2005-03-23 17:34
    Great, thanks! Guess I'll be stopping be the local RS on the way home from work. turn.gif
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-03-23 20:06
    Oops, my mistake -- yes, the BOE-Bot kit is the same as ours and RadioShack is offering a great price.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • voodoofishvoodoofish Posts: 67
    edited 2005-03-25 19:01
    yep, I bought the boebot and the what is a micro controler kit from them....
  • edited 2005-03-26 00:09
    Excellent.· Since you've got both, I recommend going through What's a Microcontroller (WAM) first.· Both·are great starter kits, but WAM provides a more well rounded introduction, making it possible to go through Robotics with the Boe-Bot with a more critical eye.
    voodoofish said...
    yep, I bought the boebot and the what is a micro controler kit from them....
  • voodoofishvoodoofish Posts: 67
    edited 2005-03-26 02:23
    yep, thats my intention, then to give that to my nephew while I work on the boebot [noparse]:)[/noparse] and start playing with the javalin processor that I got, and the memsic, and the ir buddys and the ping module...and the......well you get the picture hehehe...
  • gelfling6gelfling6 Posts: 60
    edited 2005-04-16 00:05
    Andy Lindsay (Parallax) said...
    Excellent. Since you've got both, I recommend going through What's a Microcontroller (WAM) first. Both are great starter kits, but WAM provides a more well rounded introduction, making it possible to go through Robotics with the Boe-Bot with a more critical eye.

I have both too! Trying a little experiment of a rudimentary IR remote, using the Homework board as the
    transmitter, and the BOE recieving.. So-far, not too much luck.. i'm snafu'ing something in the code..

trying to send slow Serial I/O pulses with just simple 1-digit number data (a value from 1 to 5)
    to the robot to either foward, backward, turn left, turn right, or beep.

The IR recievers just aren't getting the full data signal..

Any tips? suggestions, ideas, BESIDES keeping the BOE away from the chain maille?

Stephen (gelfling6)
  • edited 2005-04-16 02:50
    I think pages 15 to 17 in this document will get you down the road.

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/audiovis/InfraredEmittingDiode.pdf

I actually don't know how to get to this through our site, but the search term:

Weekend Special site:www.parallax.com

in google helps me find the PDF.
  • gelfling6gelfling6 Posts: 60
    edited 2005-04-20 19:39
    Thanks Andy, I got it! the page/PDF saved with no problems on a background browser. (gotta love flexabilityof Mozilla Firefox)

YEP, Exactly what I was looking for!

Stephen