Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What does the Boe-Bot back wheel look like? — Parallax Forums

What does the Boe-Bot back wheel look like?

pcrobotpcrobot Posts: 103
edited 2005-04-19 23:25 in Robotics
Hello,

I'm looking at buying the boebot, but I can't tell from pics, what the wheel is like. It looks like a rubber ball with a whole in the middle, that has a metal clip going through it. To me, it doesn't look very sturdy, but I could be wrong.
Thanks,
pcrobot

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-04-14 22:55
    It's hard plastic (so it will slide on other hard surfaces) and very tough. We've sold hundreds of thousands of BOE-Bots and if that was an issue we'd know about it by now.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-04-15 00:53
    It's a very nice hard plastic ball. Very durable. Spins easily and slides easily.

Having now tried a 4-wheel robot, I appreciate more the tri-pod robot. And a key part of the tripod robot is something that does not limit your turns. The little ball slides sideways really really well -- which is important, believe it or not.

If you build a 4-wheel robot, differential drive does not work -- the front wheels keep you going straight. If you make the front wheels steerable, now your robot has to move like a car -- including backing up and going forward, it still can't turn in place like a tri-pod robot can.

Basically, the tripod robot with slippery wheel/caster/ball is the easiest to control. And that's what you want for your first robot. You may even want that for your fifth robot. And it's also very practical for many robot uses -- maze following, Sumo, kitchen floors, concrete floors. Deep shag rug would be a problem, but then it's a problem for many other robot wheel systems too.
  • pcrobotpcrobot Posts: 103
    edited 2005-04-18 22:05
    Thank you both.
    The first hand experience helps.
    cool.gif
    I should be able to purchase my boe-bot soon! smilewinkgrin.gif
    Thanks again!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Robotics
    ro-bot-ics (noun)
    the science or technology of robots, their design, manufacture, application, use, etc.
  • Wade SmithWade Smith Posts: 25
    edited 2005-04-19 23:25
    allanlane 5 wrote: Having now tried a 4-wheel robot, I appreciate more the tri-pod robot..."

Could you elaborate on the 4 wheel robot? I was thinking about buying (or copying) one of the 4 wheel robots like Budget Robotics sells, but really wondered how the steering, and mabye battery life would be.

Wade