Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Certifications? requirements? — Parallax Forums

Certifications? requirements?

HoustonDVDHoustonDVD Posts: 9
edited 2005-04-07 20:09 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I have a formal background in robotics and·electronics.· I've volunteered to teach a basic·microcontroller class at a private school.· Do·you require·any kind·of testing or·certification in order to teach·your chips in·class series?· If so..· Where can I get info on that?
Thanks
db

Comments

• edited 2005-04-01 03:59
    No requirements; just recommendations.

1) If you see one in your area, take a Parallax BASIC Stamp Educators Course. See www.parallax.com -> Education -> Educators Courses

2) Get familiar with the material. All of our educational texts are available for free download from www.parallax.com -> Downloads -> Stamps in Class Tutorials.

3) What's a Microcontroller and Robotics with the Boe-Bot are the two best starting points for beginners.

4) Contact me directly (use the email or pivate message icons to the left of this post) regarding resources Parallax makes available to instructors.
  • dechiefdechief Posts: 11
    edited 2005-04-01 19:08
    hello andy,
    did you remember of me?
    michel.dechief@skynet.be
    I was to learn with you at "Hooge school van Roterdam"
    Unfortunately at this time i d'ont receive any kind of certification of this course.
    I'm still with problem with the managing pool of the university because here in Belgium it's impossible to teach without any certification.on other words, i d'ont start to teach for parallax product without any certification(A little word like: "michel dechief was at hooge school van Rotterdam to discover about parallax product" ) it's enough.
    I working very hard to go in to the same mind of spirit of parallax and i'm waiting of something from you.
    When can i learn more with you?
    Let me know of your planning in Europa, i'm waiting.
    I hope to see you again and it's for me a big pleasure to stay in contact with Parallax team.
    Regards from a friend from Belgium,
    michel.dechief@skynet.be

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Michel Dechief

From Belgium
  • edited 2005-04-02 00:03
    Michel,

I'm sorry; I did not realize how urgent your need of a certificat was.

The certificates for the Parallax Educators courses in Rotterdam and Den Bosch will probably not be ready for a couple more weeks.

I will email you offline with a draft of the certificate. If it will be sufficient for you, we will mail it to you this coming Monday.

Regards, Andy

Post Edited (Andy Lindsay (Parallax)) : 4/2/2005 4:37:02 AM GMT
  • John KauffmanJohn Kauffman Posts: 653
    edited 2005-04-07 20:09
    Houston DVD:

I'm in a similar situation: background in science (programming), asked to teach after-school course in electronics for grades 6-12 at my kids' private school. It is going very well. I attribute success to my extensive experience teaching programming and the well-thought-out Parallax kits.

Some specifics:

We also do a build-a-kit seminar for middle schoolers where they learn to solder (Velleman kits).
    I am doing a WAM in the evenings for students and parent pairs. It is working very well.
    The PArallax educators course is great.
    Start with WAM becasue your materials costs are much lower then BoeBot.
    Use Boebot for a follow-on course.
    We include the kit cost in the course cost and students keep the kits.
    I buy (and charge students for): batteries, needle nose pliers (cheapies), a fishing-lure box with dividers to hold their parts.
    For WAM we meeat six tiems for 2 horus each and cover all ten chapters (two per week except chpts 7 and 10 solo)
    My rule is to lecture on theory for 15 minutes them let them do the chapter's activities for 45 minutes.
    Order an extra kit for every five students so you have spare parts on hand.
    Do a five minute demo at begining of each class that shows off some advanced feature of Stamps: Optiscope, LCD character display, BoeBot, Multi-servo controller, Text-to-Speech Unit, etc.

Good luck, let me know if you need more advice.