Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Gears & servos — Parallax Forums

Gears & servos

waltwalt Posts: 27
edited 2005-04-02 12:54 in Robotics
·I am having trouble operating mechanisms using servos with any accuracy, does anyone know how to attach gears to a servo since there is not much there to attach to. If I use pullys with strings they strech or slip with a load. Using the control arms that come with the·servos limits the amount of·movement. Maybe chains or belt drive would work but I still have the trouble of attaching to servos. I know this is a lot but also what kind of code do you· use to measure if you use a pulley with teeth and an IR·and detector·. I am trying to··do this with a BOE BOT. and servo controler by Parallax.

·················· Thanks A lot· WALT

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-04-02 00:16
    Walt -

There appears to be a problem with their web site at the moment, but these folks have gears which are meant to be attached to R/C Servos:
    http://www.servocity.com/html/gears___sprockets.html

You may want to shoot them a message regarding your specific needs.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-04-02 03:13
    Walt,

·· You could also drill 4 small holes into a gear and screw it to the horn.· This is often done with wheels and linkages, and yes, even gears for servos.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2005-04-02 03:54
    Walt,

I don't like mounting gears on top of a servo horn. It always seems like more screws, misalignment, etc. I deal with this same problem when I want to attach various devices to servo splines.

My suggestion, if the gears have a hub on them, would be to drill and pin to the servo horn. Doing this, you drill a 1/16th hole through the side of the servo spline and into the "hub" if you are using one.

Also, the 3 DOF arm for our HexCrawler uses molded gears that fit common servo splines.

Ken
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2005-04-02 04:01
    If you use a small piece of PVC water line pipe with an inner diameter of 1/4 inch you can "thread" a 1/4 inch
    aluminum all-thread into part of it while you can press-fit the other end onto the servo hub. In addition you
    can use a dremel tool to pierce a small hole through the PVC and plastic servo hub and out through the other
    side to accept a makeshift cotter pin.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe - Mask Designer III

National Semiconductor Corporation
    Latest Company News
    (Communication Interface Division)
    500 Pinnacle Court, Suite 525
    Mail Stop GA1
    Norcross,GA 30071
  • waltwalt Posts: 27
    edited 2005-04-02 12:54
    Thanks guys that is exactly what I wanted. It sure is nice to have this forum and get help like this when you are a·newbie.· tongue.gif