Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need recommended text — Parallax Forums

Need recommended text

GlenGlen Posts: 13
edited 2005-03-31 23:10 in Learn with BlocklyProp
As a nonprogrammer trying to teach a small group of young people how to program their BoeBot in PBasic, I need a text.
Any thoughts?
Many thanks
Glen

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-03-31 18:07
    Hello,

We have the "Robotics with the Boe-Bot" text that it explains how to program the Boe-Bot in PBASIC.· Here is a link for the download of the text:·

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/siccurriculum/documentation_sic_curriculum.asp·.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·
  • GlenGlen Posts: 13
    edited 2005-03-31 18:27
    Dave Andreas: Thanks much for a very prompt reply. I have that book. Iwas hoping for something very basic and devoted to programming only. With explanations etc. Is "What's A Microcontroller" such a book?
    Thanks
    Glen
  • edited 2005-03-31 19:44
    Glen,

The BASIC Stamp Manual is our published programmers reference. It's available from www.parallax.com -> Downloads -> Documentation.

What's a Microcontroller is the most user-friendly introductory text, and it's also the simplest book for those who have no prior programming experience. However, it is not a programming-only book. Each experiment still has circuits to build.

Although my best recommendation is to sit down with What's a Microcontroller and actually do the activities and learn from them, What's a Microcontroller is written so that you might still be able to get what you need from it without building and testing the circuits. Each activity explains what the example program will do, along with how it does it. For the most part, each example program also introduces only one or two new programming concepts at a time.

What's a Microcontroller is available for download from www.parallax.com -> Downloads -> Stamps in Class Tutorials.

Andy
  • Russ FergusonRuss Ferguson Posts: 206
    edited 2005-03-31 20:08
    The "What's a Microcontroller" does have circuits to build, but I think that they are a little simpler than the "Robotics" circuits.

I also am interest to learn whether anything is available to get students started in PBasic programming while requiring only the simplest of circuits.

It may be that a presention that had links and animations would be a good tool to develop an intro to PBasic programming.
    The layout could be similar to the last half of the one on this page:
    eng.vtc.edu.hk/website/eeng/Learning/IVEStampBot.pdf

The Power Point presention by Martin Hebel was helpful to my students:
    http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/edu/downloads/wam_pres.asp

Post Edited (Russ) : 3/31/2005 8:12:10 PM GMT
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2005-03-31 21:56
    Hi,
    Thanks and glad the WAM PP's helped. Myself with other's also made a progamming power point, though it's mainly based on Ver 1.5 of PBASIC there is a section for 2.0. This is available on Parallax's getting started pages or here:

http://imsinet.casa.siu.edu/bs2_tutorial/

Very simple circuits, but covers a multitude of programming issues.
    -Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel

Electronic Systems Technologies
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale
    Personal Links - ·Lot of BASIC Stamp info
    and
    SelmaWare Solutions
    StampPlot Pro Version 3 Release 4
    Graphical Data Acquisition for your Micro and Imagination!
    Now allows additional controls to be added, or developed.
    ·
  • Russ FergusonRuss Ferguson Posts: 206
    edited 2005-03-31 23:10
    Thank you for pointing this presentation out. There is a lot of information here.

I'm sure that this presentation is going to be as helpful as the WAM one (maybe more). It even introduces some flowcharting.

Russ