Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RoboEye Info And Boe Bot Gripper? — Parallax Forums

RoboEye Info And Boe Bot Gripper?

Rusty78Rusty78 Posts: 33
edited 2005-03-25 22:34 in Robotics
Hello, I would just like to know if the RoboEye is capable or functioning like the CMUCam as in it can·carry out some image analysis and make decision solely with the Basic Stamp module i.e. with out information transferred from a PC image analysis program.

Also, has the Gripper for the BOE-Bot been discontinued, I cant seem to find it anywhere on the web site.

Thank you kindly for your time,

Cheers!

R.K.

Comments

• Rusty78Rusty78 Posts: 33
    edited 2005-03-21 16:48
    AHEM....Actually, I read that tread and it doesn't fully answer my question. The sample code linked in that tread seems to control the robot manually by sending different commands via the wireless transmitter. What I want to know is if the Roboeye has any data imaging capabilities without the use of an PC...like the CMUCam....can it follow a pink ball around all by itself

Cheers

R.K.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-03-21 16:56
    Thats why I deleted it before you posted a response, I recognized the incongruity between the two questions so I deleted it, unfortunately you were so quick on the button that you saw the post anyways, sorry about that. In general doing full speed image processing is beyond the capabilities of a stamp, though this doesn't mean nothing is possible, it all depends on the required bandwidth, I'll leave answering this question to someone who has more experience with this.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-03-21 20:16
    Bandwidth limits, correct, but the CMUCam has an on-board processor which processes the picture and outputs a servo-drive signal, so it CAN steer the camera to follow a colored ball. You tell the processor what color to look for, and it does the rest.

And I don't think the RoboEye has this capability on-board, but I don't really know. The CMUCam had an SX processor at 50 mips to do this kind of thing.
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-03-22 18:41
    I think I remember that the CMUcam could detect the "centroid" of an object.· It doesn't have the abililty to tell the size though...does it?· It detects the object center and then sends servo commands to keep that object centered?!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://ca.geocities.com/steve.brady@rogers.com/index.html
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
    edited 2005-03-22 19:16
    Rusty, I suggest reading the the manual at http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/robo/RoboEye.pdf·pay particular attention to pages 9-13, the escape S and escape P commands appear to provide a rudimentry object detection system interfacable with the stamp, how this lines up with the CMUcam's capabilities, I cannot say.

Steve: I can find not evidence of object size automated recognition in the CMUcam.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-03-22 20:29
    Rusty78 said...(trimmed)
    Also, has the Gripper for the BOE-Bot been discontinued, I cant seem to find it anywhere on the web site.
    Thank you kindly for your time,
    Cheers!
    R.K.
    Rusty,

·· Sorry but the Gripper is no longer available.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-03-23 13:32
    Hey guys thanks for all the replies..they were extremely helpful. I've ordered my RoboEye and cant wait to set it up. Sucks about the robot gripper though, but I've heard they're working on a new one so that's good news

Cheers!

R.K.

·
  • voodoofishvoodoofish Posts: 67
    edited 2005-03-24 03:11
    I found a gripper that looked pretty good, as well as an inexpensive tilt/pan part.

thought you might like to know...as I was looking for the gripper as well....and a bit less expensive tilt/pan addon that is advertised in the parts section.....

http://www.lynxmotion.com/Category.aspx?CategoryID=61

Ciao,
    Mark
    edited 2005-03-24 14:26
    Hey Dudes,

·············· Voodoofish..thanks a bunch for the link...they've got some pretty cool stuff! I especially like their 4WD3 chassis. I've been looking for a bigger platform to expland my boe-bot. Any idea if controlling four 7.2vdc 50:1 motors is similar to controlling the servo's currently on my beobot--via PWM ?··Will it be possible to control them via the BS2?

Cheers

R.K.
    edited 2005-03-24 18:44
  • voodoofishvoodoofish Posts: 67
    edited 2005-03-25 02:30
    I'm actually just getting started with this stuff so I really couldn't tell ya turn.gif but I'd love to get one of those those 1/18 scale tank setups and put this in one of those [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2005-03-25 22:30
    Ok, to answer my own question regarding controlling DC electric motors...I need this [noparse]:http:[/noparse]//www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30052

R.K.
    edited 2005-03-25 22:34
    yes or something similar, this is discussed somewhat in this thread http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=530746