Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RoboEye and hexcrawler — Parallax Forums

RoboEye and hexcrawler

mdivuolomdivuolo Posts: 2
edited 2005-03-13 22:59 in Robotics
Howdy all!

A few weeks ago I bought the Hexcrawler kit along with the RoboEye wireless camera system and an SR-04 sensor.· I built the hexcrawler and got it working with the pushbutton program where you select from a number of walking gaits and then have the beast walk.· My plan is to attach the camera to the hexcrawler and do some interesting behavior.· First off I know that the camera was intended more for the boe-bot rather than the hexcrawler, so that's a little shakey to begin with, but not a really big problem, I can figure out how to attach the camera to the hexcrawler with some sheet metal or something.

My problem comes with the actual use of the camera. I can take pictures with the roboeye software just fine but I can't figure out how to have a basic stamp do it on its own.· Just to play around with the camera I have it hooked up to a stamp homework board that came with the WAM product.· How do I use the escape commands for the camera?· Do I enter the commands in the Roboeye software's terminal or run the escape commands in a serin (or serout) function to go to the camera?· I'm really fuzzy about how to work the camera in this regard, and I wish there were more examples in the documentation.·

I'd love to hear feedback from people who have been using the camera and what uses they have done and their implementations.

Thanks for any assistance or stories, and·I'll get a picture of my robot up here soon as I can. scool.gif

Mike

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2004-11-30 06:13
    Mike,

You can do this two ways, the first of which you already identified using the PC. In the transmit pane, enter escape, a "T" and a carriage return. This will cause the current picture to be shown on your PC. You can send the same command with a SEROUT from the BASIC Stamp:

SEROUT sPin, 84, [noparse][[/noparse]$1B,$54,$0D]

Then, the sensor should identify the sequence as a request to take the picture. . . and you should see it on the PC's RoboEye software.

Oh, this product isn't stuck with the Boe-Bot as you already know. It can be used on any robot. If you've ever used the CMUCam and yearned to "see" the image and wanted to be able to offload all the image processing you would appreciate this concept. RoboEye uses the PC - and here's the gotcha - to do image analysis if you write a program to decode and analyze the stream of data from the sensor.

One of my goals was to put this sensor on a walking robot for image analysis. I'd be happier if RoboEye were much smaller (I like very small robots). But I haven't gotten around to this project yet. When you work in the candy factory there's no time to eat the products.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.·
  • villianvillian Posts: 3
    edited 2005-03-13 22:59
    Mike,

Your SEROUT command does not work.

I have a BOE-BOT with RoboEye that works only thru the RoboEye software and using the BS2 program that
    came with the kit. Last night I was reading the forums in serch of an answer to the same question.
    I went to the manufactures website for more programming instructions but couldn't find an answer that I could
    figure out how to implement with PBASIC.

I have inserted the command you suggested in different places in my modified code and don't recieve any error
    messages and the RoboEye software doesn't show any weird charactors when it encounters the command,
    but I don't get a pic displayed in the RoboEye software. I have made sure that the command had enough time
    to transmit the pic without being 'lost' because of the noted communications limitations.
    The RoboEye software just seems to ignor the command while the rest of the program continues to function.

I am fairly new to PBASIC but I am learning fast. I would like to have the Basic Stamp take more control.

villian