Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Question about a weird resistor value — Parallax Forums

Question about a weird resistor value

jakjrjakjr Posts: 88
edited 2005-03-08 18:52 in General Discussion
I am in the process of building a stun gun but one of the resistor it uses is a 3k3, I have never heard of a value like that.

I imagine the 3k means 3,000 ohms but was does the other 3 mean, watts? volts? amps?

Comments

• KenMKenM Posts: 657
    edited 2004-08-26 01:43
    I belive that is 3.3 k ohms. I have some bulk packaged resistors where the paper label in the package is as you describe........#k#.· 4k7 for example measured 4.7k ohms.
    jakjr said...
    I am in the process of building a stun gun but one of the resistor it uses is a 3k3, I have never heard of a value like that.

I imagine the 3k means 3,000 ohms but was does the other 3 mean, watts? volts? amps?
  • jakjrjakjr Posts: 88
    edited 2004-08-26 02:45
    Thanks for the info.

Im now pretty sure it must mean 3.3k, I looked up really close at one of the pictures and the color bands look to be orange, orange, red, gold which would indicate 3.3k 5% tolerance.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2004-08-26 03:00
    KenM,

You are correct, this is a 3.3K resistor.

In printed form, this method was adopted to ensure that the decimal point would remain intact through generations of copies,
    natural aging, etc. Because the decimal point is such a small character, it is usually one of the first to fade away. By replacing
    the decimal point with the unit of measurement this becomes less of a problem. In more modern applications, this method
    is used to label bulk or very small devices where the decimal point would be difficult to read in the first place.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe - Mask Designer III

National Semiconductor Corporation
    (Communication Interface Division)
    500 Pinnacle Court, Suite 525
    Mail Stop GA1
    Norcross,GA 30071
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2004-08-26 13:15
    Not to shower on an otherwise common project (At least when I was younger), but you should check with your local laws to determine if Stun Guns are legal in your area, to prevent ever getting busted for not knowing.

I worked as a Security Guard for years, and I carried a Pistol.· When I moved to another company, they didn't allow guns, so I got a Stun Gun...Later a Deputy Sheriff I ride mototrcycles with told me that it was illegal (In NY), and recommended I lock it in my safe and leave it there (Which I did).

Just a heads up...I'm sure nobody here is going to turn you in, but you should check.· cool.gif

P.S. - The 3k3 etc, style is still popular in the UK.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Knight Designs
    324 West Main Street
    P.O. Box 97
    Montour Falls, NY 14865
    (607) 535-6777

Business Page:·· http://www.knightdesigns.com
    Personal Page:··· http://www.lightlink.com/dream/chris
    ·
  • jakjrjakjr Posts: 88
    edited 2004-08-26 15:12
    I am about 90% sure they are legal as Ive seen them for sale at various malls, But ill still check just in case.

Actually im (and my dad as well) am planning on building a (real) laser as well, I havent decided on what kind yet though. I was thinking of a nitrogen laser but they are prettt much worthless as the beam is invisible (uv I beleive) and they are only about 90 milliwats so no cutting/ burning could be done with one therefore I am now thinking of a co2 laser. While the beam on a co2 laser (IR I believe) is still unvisible they can at least cut/burn stuff.
  • Mag748Mag748 Posts: 263
    edited 2004-08-31 06:06
    back to the resitor topic (sorry, dont know anything about lasers) what would a resistors colors be if its value were something like 4.7 Ohm?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2004-08-31 06:17
    Here is something I put together a few years ago, and at one time had it on my personal Web-Page.

The answer to your question would be...

YELLOW-PURPLE-GOLD for a 4 Band resistor
    YELLOW-PURPLE-BLACK-SILVER for a 5 or 6 Band resistor

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe - Mask Designer III

National Semiconductor Corporation
    (Communication Interface Division)
    500 Pinnacle Court, Suite 525
    Mail Stop GA1
    Norcross,GA 30071

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe) : 8/31/2004 6:51:31 AM GMT
    619 x 640 - 24K
  • Rex KarzRex Karz Posts: 1
    edited 2004-09-01 00:59
    Mag748 said...
    back to the resitor topic (sorry, dont know anything about lasers) what would a resistors colors be if its value were something like 4.7 Ohm?

A 4.7 ohm resistor is shown as 4R7

Rex Karz
    Bakersfield, CA
  • Mag748Mag748 Posts: 263
    edited 2004-09-02 00:04
    thats a cool picture, very helpful

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2005-03-01 20:52
    You need to get a permit to use a CO2 laser-the're Class IV lasers!!!!!!!!! If you need more info, check out Lasers, Ray guns, and Light cannons.
    bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Geordi: "It's like the laws of physics went right out the window!"
    Q: "And why shouldn't they, they're so inconvenient!"

Geordi LaForge, Chief Engineer, USS Enterprise, NCC 1701-D
    Q, Omnipotent Prankster
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-03-01 21:35
    A CO2 laser's class is based on it's wattage, powerful green lasers like here http://www.wickedlasers.com/·and here http://www.z-bolt.com/·are easily availible, simple modification of removing the step up crystal yeilds a very powerful and quite dangerous infrared spectrum laser (easily buring a retina in a fraction of a second) similar to a large CO2 laser, but runs off of batteries instead of power mains. Even with the crystals still inside, they will etch patterns in clouds, and there is a video on the net of guys using one to poke holes through styrofoam and plastic cups across the room in a couple seconds. Yet these lasers are readily availible and before the [url=mailto:dumb@ss]dumb@ss[/url] in Ohio started pointing one at a few aircraft (that was considerably less powerful), the feds had no gripe with thier sale. They are now griping, but they are still leagal to purchase in most states (Id imagine if they were ileagal anywhere it would be CA). But you didnt here about the modification thing from me [noparse];)[/noparse]

Oh yeah, and before building a non-visible laser, read up on all precauctions of using them, last thing you want is to get the bright idea·of cutting through some aluminum and have the laser reflecting off and striking you.

· _____·· ROFL, now thats funny!
    ·|
    ·V

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 3/1/2005 10:04:53 PM GMT
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2005-03-01 21:43
    Warning label:

DO NOT Look into Laser With remaining Eye

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    XYZZY...PLUGH...*poof*
  • SofalogicSofalogic Posts: 49
    edited 2005-03-02 04:04
    freaked.gif Be careful building a laser. there are no useful lasers in the visible spectrum. A reflection can blind you(or an innocent bystander) just as easily as a direct hit. Coherent light is unforgiving. The human eye does not heal once exposed. Laser does not travel slow like in the Sci-Fi movies. The laser class rating is by exposure. a higher rating simply means you dont have time to blink before the damage is done.

Be careful out there.

Sofa
    edited 2005-03-02 05:16
    Sofalogic said...
    there are no useful lasers in the visible spectrum.
    I beg to differ, the ruby laser was the first laser created·and was extensively used for industrial applications such as etching, it emits short bursts of red coherent light, though it has been mostly·replaced by the YAG and other types. XeF Eximer lasers are powerful and are blue-green, but if you want the ultimate in power (and theoretically availible), you go with a·Neodynium-Glass Laser capable of 10^9 kW, they are used at Lawrence Livermore to start nuclear fusion (though they are infrared). But non-linear optics can·step up·pretty much any infrared laser into the visible spectrum.

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 3/2/2005 5:21:06 AM GMT
    edited 2005-03-08 00:42
    Hmmm, maybe I should have been more specific with my answer. You are correct Paul. I guess useful laser is in the eye of the beholder. My experience is in the 3-8kW range. I am curious though. If laser radiation is coherent and we are talking at the photon packet level, how can you change the spectrum of the wavelength of radiation.

Lets try this again, if the energy is at 10.6 microns wavelength and the source is coherent, is there a visible component of light spectrum available to to extract with the optics?

I hope I am clear with my question. My ability to communicate my thoughts to paper needs improvement.

Sofa
    edited 2005-03-08 17:02
    I don't understand how non-linear optic crystals work precisely, I think it has something to do with multi-state electron excitement then the electron collapses into another state which I think is in a different band than the original due to the molecular bonding of the atoms which corresponds to a photon of higher frequency, akin to the laser module itself but using a special molecular property prevalent in only rare molecular structures, but thats about all I know. The resultant frequency of light will have coherent properties, but I don't know if it will be coherent in phase. Its not optics in the traditional definition because the coherent light is actually interacting and being changed by the molecules in the optical element itself, rather than using refraction properties.
    edited 2005-03-08 18:52
    Aaah that makes sense. Is the resultant radiation after the optic the original wavelength and the new wavelength? Or is the original wavelength absorbed in the process. I remember back in my YaG days amplifying laser using a similar process. In the process of lasing the photon passes the excited molecule, this molecule then emits the photon of equal wavelength, phase and direction. It would be interesting to find that there are multiple wavelength possibilities. I understand that each molecule has an ability to emit several wavelengths, these wavelengths are typically very close in frequency. Emitting a photon of completely different wavelength using this process sounds interesting if indeed this is how it works.

If there are two wavelengths at the output, then there would be a phase difference dependent upon the difference in wavelength. I do not see that as a problem. I could see some definite applications.

Now if I could just figure out how to write scientific symbols on this forum it would save me some typing. Whats the keyborard shortcut for Lambda?? Weren't we talking about stun guns??

Sofa