Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What is a dremel good for? — Parallax Forums

What is a dremel good for?

Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
edited 2005-03-01 06:02 in General Discussion
I got a top of the line dremel for christmas, I used it for the first time today to cut enclosure openings in 1/16" aluminum. On the lowest speed the dremel got very hot after only a few seconds, forcing me to to set it aside to cool down. After about an hour of this process, the stator froze to the commuter. I did the "don't force the cut" technique letting the cutting wheel do the job. If the dremel can't handle even short periods at its lowest speed without self destructing what is it·good for?

Comments

• steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-02-21 21:02
    It's good for christmas presents!!

I use mine for plastic and such...wood sometimes.

is yours a Dremel model or a clone?!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • BorisBoris Posts: 81
    edited 2005-02-21 21:30
    Dont use the lowes setting for metals. Dremel is designed to cut using high speeds, not high torque. At low speeds it stalls easier and puts more stress on the motor. Also the internal cooling fan blades dont push as much air through it. Make sure you are not blocking the air intake,exhaust ports with your hands. For aluminum use higher settings, it cuts through it like butter. And of course always wear safety gogles, those cutting discs shatter easily and go flying pretty darn far. Search online, i saw some very creative artistic designs cut into the side of a PC case using a dremel.
  • Robert SchwartzRobert Schwartz Posts: 141
    edited 2005-02-21 21:56
    Dremels can be used for cutting, shaping, sanding, engraving, routing, and plenty more things. You have to be sure you are using the right attachment at the right speed. As Boris said, when cutting metals, you will want to be at a very high speed. This will make cutting aluminum quick and easy. Hope you enjoy your Dremel.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-02-21 22:21
    Boris and Robert make excellent points.· My dremel has variable speed and can be set from 5,000RPM to 30,000 RPM.· There are different applications for the different speeds, but for cutting just about anything, 20,000-30,000 is the best range I have found.· Not only does the dremel stay cool, but with an emery wheel I can cut through a 1/4 Hardened Steel Bolt in about 15 seconds.· That's not too bad.· You just have to make sure you hold the dremel still so you don't bind the cutting wheel or bit, or whatever you're using.· Mine's a Sears/Craftsman knockoff and has been going for about 6 years.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --==<{Chris}>==--
  • Harry StonerHarry Stoner Posts: 54
    edited 2005-02-21 22:42
    Dremels probably look more useful than they really are, but I like mine anyway. For electronics, I recently used it to drill holes on the edge of a perf board to accomodate molex connectors pins with .156 inch spacing. I could get extremely small drill bits for the dremel to do this, and I was stuck otherwise.

Harry
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-02-21 23:45
    A Dremel works very well at high speeds and runs up to 60,000 rpm with very little runout. This is important if you want to use small (0.030 in) tungsten carbide drills. I've attached my Dremel to a mini drill press stand and it does an excellent job drilling circuit boards. I tried the same drill bits on a full size drill press running at 5,000 rpm and there was enough runout to break the drill bit in seconds.
  • StarManStarMan Posts: 306
    edited 2005-02-22 02:57
    I routinely hand-drill .020 holes by the hundreds in 1/4" fiberglass sheet and sometimes other materials.· Prior to using a Dremel, I used a regular cordless hand drill and broke many drill bits.· My frustration level was very high...· especially when a broken off piece of bit got stuck in a hole or when I ran out of bits in the middle of a project.

Now with the Dremel, the bits become dull after about 100 holes and I almost never break one.· It's a great tool.

Suggestion: Buy the cutting wheels that are fiber-reinforced instead of the ones that shatter.· It's much safer and they last alot longer.

Also, when drilling thermoplastics, use the lowest speed to prevent melting the material.· Otherwise you get a larger hole than you intended.
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2005-02-22 07:44
    The last job I used my Dremel for was to cut the 1/4" steel wire on my bicycle lock when the locking mechanism jammed up.

After seeing just how quickly it cut through the wire I made certain to buy a lock with thicker wire afterwards...
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-02-22 13:54
    Shame I didn't bother to re-read the instructions before using it, now I have to buy a security bit set to disassemble the thing to see if I can unstick the stator. Im so use to high torque/low speed tools the higher speeds didn't "feel right" grr. Now I have a $80 paperweight until I doctor it up.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-02-22 14:39
    If you just got the Dremel for Christmas - it should still be under warranty.
  • achilles03achilles03 Posts: 247
    edited 2005-02-22 14:49
    I use my dremel like mad. Depends on what your hobby is, I guess. It's ok for small bouts of metal cutting, but it's not made for heavy-duty cutting. Wood, plastic, thin aluminum, and I even trimmed some steel with mine before. Those sanding/cutting wheels are nearly useless though.

And yes, low speed/high torque is bad. Even though your power output might be higher at high speed/moderate torque, the fan (which is turned via the motor) will still be turning much faster, and cooling the motor more effectively.

Dave
    edited 2005-02-25 05:16
    Got a torx wrench set, opened the dremel up, pulled the stuck stator of the rotor, cleaned the contacts, reassembled, and it worked like a charm. Good thing it is such a simple tool.
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-02-25 05:19
    Simple, but versitial and handy. Now keep your revs up! smile.gif

Jim
  • chemaniachemania Posts: 25
    edited 2005-02-28 23:06
    It works great for trimming toenails!

Jeff
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2005-02-28 23:14
    Jeff,

Ouch!!! .....Just remember to "steady" that sideways cutting bit or else....Ahhhhh!!! I don't even want to think about it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe - Mask Designer III

National Semiconductor Corporation
    (Communication Interface Division)
    500 Pinnacle Court, Suite 525
    Mail Stop GA1
    Norcross,GA 30071
    edited 2005-03-01 06:02
    Scary thing is, my sister has those really thick toenails (like what they advertise lamisil for), Over Christmas break I saw my uncle literally using a dremel to file away her nails. My mother has broken several standard clippers trying to trim them. My sister has Down Syndrome so she cant really be trusted doing it by herself. When I saw it, I told my mom "Geez don't you think its about time you get her some Lamisil?"

Paul
    (Is ticked he coupldn't complete the project in time for the deadline, stupid WinCUPL and the damn fitter program don't play nicely with each other)