Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
boebot nerf assault vehicle (picture updated) — Parallax Forums

boebot nerf assault vehicle (picture updated)

bishopbishop Posts: 82
edited 2007-03-24 13:21 in Robotics
love the boebot!
thought maybe you'd be interested in seeing my mod of the boebot:

assault8.jpg·assault7.jpg
Yes those are nerf missiles in that turret.
cmucam tracking coming next.

video and more pictures at:
http://www.danwoolston.com/Default.aspx?tabid=120

any comments or questions, feel free to post on the site or email me!
good job on the kit parallax!

EDITED MARCH 5th:

updated view of the nerfbot:

web_tank_2.jpg

fear the nerfbot.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

daniel woolston
Teksystems Inc.
www.danwoolston.com

Post Edited (bishop) : 3/4/2005 7:45:09 PM GMT

Comments

• JonbJonb Posts: 146
    edited 2005-02-21 15:25
    Cool project, i just feel bad for the poor guy on the receiving end tongue.gif
  • Robert SchwartzRobert Schwartz Posts: 141
    edited 2005-02-21 18:33
    Nice mod. Now you need to add a stamp to each of the nerf missiles and have them aquire a target and follow it [noparse]:)[/noparse].
  • bishopbishop Posts: 82
    edited 2005-02-22 01:53
    hmmm....heat seeking nerf missiles.
    i wonder if parallax makes a part for that.

the project actually will take another turn when my cmucam and pan/tilt turrets show up.
    the nerf turret is surprisingly lite, so the bots not hurting for motion yet.
    its still a little front heavy and will tilt forward if i dont ramp down forward motion.· once the new pan/tilt shows up and i build a separate platform for that, i'll be able to distribute the weight a little more appropriately.· definitely a fun thing to experiment with.
    ·
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-02-23 16:56
    This is really cool!· You could always add the tank tread kit to this project.· Here is a link for the kit:· http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28106 .

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2005-02-23 19:15
    Too bad the Stamp and other electronics won't fit inside the tank you got the launcher from as it already has threads and the looks....

As for heat-seeking missiles...
    You need bigger missiles than those that comes with that kit.
    Buy a couple of OEM SMT BS1/2 sets, make a small PCB for the crystal(for the ground plane), then glue it and the chips into the nerf-missile, but skip the voltage regulator and the undervoltage reset chip. Solder the thinnest wires you can find to the IC pins( Mounting them on a PCB will add a lot of weight). Carve out a slot for a 3V button-type cell and add copper wires to work as contacts.
    Control?
    Add solid fins at the rear and smaller moveable fins at the tip(like on a Sidewinder missile)
    These may be activated by pieces of nitinol wire, or possibly the steering components from two of those cheap, little micro-RC cars (For both horisontal and vertical movement)
    Find a single IC(in SMT size which can drive the currents needed to activate the nitinol for short periods) and connect between the BS and nitinol strings.

Infrared guidance?
    You'll need a couple of IR sensitive photo-resistors or something.
    Stick one in the center of the tip and four around that again, and separate them with tin-foil.
    Connect it all to the BS....

The reason the voltage regulator and the reset chip is excluded is that using 2 x 3V batteries will add too much weight, so we run the BS at 3V instead. (It will actually draw less current in 3V mode, and both PIC and EEPROM tolerates such low voltages)
    Because there's no reset, it may act weirdly when the voltage drops too much, but as it's not a 'serious' project...

Programming the BS, though will be a bit difficult...
    (Maybe use a stock BS and unsolder the EEPROM from it when you're satisfied or make a mock-up BS with a SMT socket)

Me and my imagination...
  • maheshjamesmaheshjames Posts: 2
    edited 2005-02-24 10:07
    thanks for it
    edited 2005-02-24 15:33
    Dave,
    I actually forgot about the parallax tank treads.· that might be an interesting idea.
    I had thought about recycling the tread system from the original toy, but i think i'm going to save those for my next platform project.
    the boebot treads would look pretty sweet.

I'm still laughing about the detailed build description of the guided missile system from above.
    i think somebody has really thought this through waaayyyy before i built my bot.··smile.gif

i think i'll check my robot budget (or as my wife calls it 'your allowance') and see if i can squeeze some treads out of it.

·
    edited 2005-02-24 19:02
    You want to know the REALLY worrying part?

I thought it up as I wrote themessage...
    (I've been experimenting with running a BS1 on 3V, though, and somewhere I have a Nitinol book and some thread)

Anyway...
    As you may have noticed, I didn't give any examples of guidance programs.
    That is because I don't want anyone shooting down an F-16 with a homebuilt guided missile....

Also, note that while IR sensitive sensors may be expensive, using ordinary light-sensitive should be good enough for a night-fight if the target is foolish enough to have a bright light(like an afterburner)...

Before anyone starts messing about: note that while amateur rockets can be fun, in most countries(Including the USA), fitting ANY active guidance to it will make it into a missile and very illegal without a permit.(which they won't give you.)
    How they would react to someone fitting guidance systems to an othervise inert projectile, though, is anyone's guess...
    edited 2005-02-25 00:43
    actually GM you have given me an idea.· I'm thinking of building some kind of model rocket launch pad and just outfit it with some small low level estes rockets.· i think they have a "mini-rocket" kit now.· I just gotta design a heat shield of sorts to prevent the boe from getting toasted from the rocket exhaust.
    hmmmm...
    maybe i've found a new project.· I did get some new pan/tilt turrets in...they'd be a perfect platform.
    some food for thought.
    ·
    edited 2005-02-25 01:06
    You better be VERY careful with one of those though, bishop! Don't want to end up having it shoot into a building, tree, person (!!!), and causing damage or fire.
    edited 2005-02-25 04:40
    i actually have a huge field with which to launch.· Rockets will be launched vertically, assuming I even build the platform.· I dont wanna toast the boe, so its gonna take some test firing with the rockets first to see what kind of heat and distribution we're talking about.· I'll probably build it, fire the rocket, video tape and then never do it again.· smile.gif·· I'm pretty sure that the boebot has yet to be a missile launching platform.
    ·
    edited 2005-02-25 05:54
    It would be so awsome walking down a sidewalk with an army of like 20 boe bots with treads, each carrying 5 rockets on a pan/tilt assembly...well...at least until you got arrested. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2005-02-25 07:21
    hehehe...
    i dont think you'd get too far down the sidewalk on 4 AA batteries powering pan/tilts, sensors and the additional weight of the rockets. but yeah..it would look cool.
    I'm ordering my tank treads now...this should be a fun add on.
    edited 2005-02-25 17:16
    Just one detail I forgot...

Where the H*ck did you get that nerf-tank?
    (I can't find it online... )
    edited 2005-02-25 21:40
    GM: i actually found it on clearance at walmarts. they were $15, so i bought two.
    I have seen them on ebay listed under: Motorworks Missile Launcher.

heres a UK site that has more information, but I dont think you'd want to import the toy:
    http://www.firebox.com/index.html?dir=firebox&action=product&pid=512&showAllImages=0

but i have found a few on ebay for around 10-15 starting bids.
    if you have a walmart nearby, then check them first.
    good luck!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

daniel woolston
    Teksystems Inc.
    www.danwoolston.com
    edited 2005-02-26 11:01
    We don't have Walmart in Norway.

And I quit eBay several years ago because of all the scams going on.

Thanks for the link, though.
    Seems like they have other fun toys, too....

smile.gif
    edited 2005-02-26 18:53
    freaked.gif·no walmart?!!

how can that be?· thats impossible.
    thats like saying theres no sun in the sky.
    no walmart down the road is an urban legend we tell our kids to teach them appreciation for the walmart.
    hehehehe.

you're probably better off without it.
    smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

daniel woolston
    Teksystems Inc.
    www.danwoolston.com
    edited 2005-02-27 14:53
    As I like to say, Norway is the land of the free...

Free of Walmart,
    free of Radio-shack,
    free of televangelists,
    free of politial ads on TV,
    free of Homeland InSecurity...

We even buried Keiko here...
    (You know, from the movie 'Free Willy'... )

OK, so my nearest Parallax reseller is a Swedish netshop, but then again, we can't have everything...

smile.gif
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-03-01 17:00
    Gadgetman said...

OK, so my nearest Parallax reseller is a Swedish netshop, but then again, we can't have everything...

smile.gif
    Like sunlight for half a year? smilewinkgrin.gif But if·I remember correctly you do have snowmobile drive through windows (or is that Sweden?), I actually had a dream last night I was in Barrow Alaska and was all messed up mentally because the sun never set (ala the movie Insomnia).
    edited 2005-03-01 17:11
    The Snowmobile drive-through sounds Swedish...
    (In Norway the use of snowmobiles is a bit more controlled so they're not that common, except in the far northern regions.)

As for the sunlight...
    Too much of it in the summer and too little in the winter...
    (I live south of the polar circle, so I DO get some sun in the winter, but I'm also so close to it, that the night isn't very dark in the summer...)
    Causes havoc with my sleeping habits...
  • MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2005-03-01 20:47
    The snowmobile drive-through is in Alaska. It's at McDonalds.
    bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Geordi: "It's like the laws of physics went right out the window!"
    Q: "And why shouldn't they, they're so inconvenient!"

Geordi LaForge, Chief Engineer, USS Enterprise, NCC 1701-D
    Q, Omnipotent Prankster
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-03-01 21:41
    I believe the AK'ers copied the idea.
  • blink13blink13 Posts: 65
    edited 2005-03-02 22:57
    definately the best project posted so far
    edited 2005-03-03 03:06
    In the two spots where there are no missiles, you should put either the CMUcam or a sonar rangefinder. The sonar would look more militaristic, but CMUCam is a lot cooler. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2005-03-04 04:58
    hehehehe....

nerfbot is treaded now.· yeah.gif
    ·web_tank_masked_white.jpg

web_tank_2.jpg
    fear the nerfbot.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

daniel woolston
    Teksystems Inc.
    www.danwoolston.com
    600 x 572 - 73K
    600 x 501 - 66K
    edited 2005-03-04 10:26
    bishop said...

fear the nerfbot.
    To conquer the world, you need two things, an army of robot minions, and maniacal laughter...

So....
    That's one...

Can we hear the other?
    edited 2005-03-04 13:02
    muuwaahahahahahahahaha.
    [noparse]:D[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

daniel woolston
    Teksystems Inc.
    www.danwoolston.com
    edited 2005-03-04 14:01
    Try a short pause between each 'ha' 'ha' at the end...
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-03-04 14:47
    I prefer the school-girlish giggle in my evil nemesis's's!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://ca.geocities.com/steve.brady@rogers.com/index.html
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-03-04 23:53
    That looks way cool! I'm glad you purchased the tread kit.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·