Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help! I Need A Serial Controlled PWM Chip or Chips That I Can Get 24 Outputs Fo — Parallax Forums

Help! I Need A Serial Controlled PWM Chip or Chips That I Can Get 24 Outputs Fo

DigitalDjDigitalDj Posts: 207
edited 2005-02-21 18:06 in General Discussion
Hello!

I Need A Serial Controlled PWM Chip or Chips That I Can Get 24 Outputs For RGB L.E.D. Control! If i can adress each chip it would be great! It would be nice if it had other features for RGB control also.

Thanks,
Kevin
·

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-02-18 08:07
    I remember running across an 8 channel one once when thinking about the same thing but it was around $50 each and I quickly moved on (it was a specialty chip). Your not going to find a major manufacturer offering more than a few channels per chip. You could try to find a servo controller board, though I dont know if it will be versatile enough.
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-02-18 08:19
    Kevin -

Here is the PAK-V PWM coprocessor by Al Williams, which offers 8 channels per chip, and 2-32 additional chips can be daisy chained for up to 256 channels, using only one Stamp pin:
    http://www.awce.com/pak5.htm

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • DigitalDjDigitalDj Posts: 207
    edited 2005-02-19 03:16
    Bruce,
    Thanks! I guess i should have mentioned that this is what i started using but i am having some problems with the address lines that actually caused the chip to fail twice and i can't get Al from A L Williams to give me any answers as to why this is happening. I have narrowed it down to pin 22 (address pin) that is causing the problem and they won't enlighten me as to what may be causing the problem.

Has anybody used this chip and may be able to help?
    Thanks,
    Kevin
    ·
    edited 2005-02-19 09:13
    Kevin -

The PAK-V is an 18 pin chip, so I'm not sure what you're looking at when you mention pin 22. Care to check the documentation again?

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    edited 2005-02-19 17:29
    Bruce,

Maybe i should have said PAK Vc! Here is the website for the chip!

http://www.awce.com/pak5.htm

Thanks,
    Kevin
    ·
  • Shawn LoweShawn Lowe Posts: 635
    edited 2005-02-19 19:11
    Thats weird that you cannot get a response from Al. He is a regular contributor to these forums.

Anyone know if something is wrong?

Shawn

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Shawn Lowe

Remember - No matter where you go
    There you are.
    edited 2005-02-19 19:16
    He has responded but doesn't seem willing to help me!

This is the latest email that i sent him!

Al,
    I was setting here thinking and i have a question to what you mentioned about a ground loop, i have 2 wires from the computer for the serial out 1 is the signal and 2 is the ground would this cause a problem? I am running a seperate power supply for the 5V and ground for the Pak.
    ·
    I would think this problem would have shown up before any of the address pins were grounded. Unless the internal pull up resistors are allowing enough current when grounded to cuase the ground differential.
    ·
    Let Me Know What You Think!

It's just been hard hard to get any advice from him! It actually tok about 7 or 8 emails to get him to explain to me how the addressing works!
    Kevin
    edited 2005-02-19 20:53
    Gents -

Al has been out of town, but I'll make sure he's aware there are some pending questions awaiting him. You're not being ingnored, honest!

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    edited 2005-02-19 21:08
    Kevin -

Just based on what little you've said there, I'd connect the PAK ground and the Stamp ground together. That should eliminate any potential ground loop problems.

DISCLAIMER: My answer is only based on the minimal information contained in your posting here. You and Al may have had a much more thorough discussion of the problem you are having.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    edited 2005-02-20 04:45
    I,m using the computer to send serial commands to the PAKVc not a Stamp and the ground from the computer and the PKvc ground are connected together. I am just really frustrated that he was not willing to setup the same circuit or investigate to find out the problem. That is why i have been weighing my options and trying to search out other chip options.

This is a very large project that is going on that i have with a digital jukebox that i have designed and almost have finished and i am also designing lighting to go in it. I have a internet deal on the jukebox for plans & kits to be done when the jukebox is completed but no deal yet on the lighting. This problem has really held me up on the programming because the programming has to be setup for addressing each chip in manual control mode and auto sequence.
    Kevin

Post Edited (DigitalDj) : 2/20/2005 4:55:42 AM GMT
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-02-20 16:42
    Kevin,

Two observations. If this has nothing to do with a Basic Stamp, and actually has nothing to do with anything from Parallax, this thread should be in The Sandbox instead. Read the first post in the "Support for using this forum" forum about getting it moved. You'll probably have more luck as there are people in The Sandbox that are pretty hardware helpful, but don't deal with the Stamp.

The second is that, if you haven't already, draw up a schematic and post it. It's really hard to determine what a hardware interface problem is without seeing the interface.

Jim
    edited 2005-02-20 17:50
    Jim,

I know this chip is used alot with the stamps and i just figured i would get more help here, i guess i figured wrong(Sorry). I put in a request for the move to be made with the moderator. Sorry if i have affended anyone with non stamp problems!

I can Draw up a schematic or block diagram if someone wants to help!

Thanks,
    Kevin
    edited 2005-02-20 18:03
    Kevin said...
    I can Draw up a schematic or block diagram if someone wants to help!
    The issue is that those trying to help need to know how you have connected it up. The data sheet diagrams are a starting point for any design. But from there the actual implementation can go in a lot of different directions.

Actually, if you will be selling plans and kits for this, a schematic should really be part of that. I'm not familiar with the various schematic tools out there, but I've used Visio with some success. Others have used the free schematic tool that Express PCB has available. You can download it at www.expresspcb.com/ExpressPCBHtm/Free_cad_software.htm.

Jim
    edited 2005-02-20 22:32
    Jim,
    I don't have a internet deal with any of the lighting just the jukebox!

I have attached a drawing of what i have when i dicovered that pin 22 is what was causing the problem. The reason i say pin 22 is because in the beginning·with setting the address·pins i was using pin 22 as least signifcant instaed of pin 18. So when i set the chip for address 1 i left pin 22 high instead of 18, i had everything backwards just didn't have the address correct and the program was not enabling the chip. When i reversed everything and set all the address lines with 18 being high the only thing that changed was 18 now high & pin22 low and that's when the chip blew. This has happened with 2 chips and this is the question i asked Al from A L Williams as to why this would happen and he said there was no problems with the chips.

I have also attached the location on the manual!
    http://www.al-williams.com/pak5c.pdf

Thanks,
    Kevin
    962 x 637 - 55K
    edited 2005-02-20 23:09
    Ok the spec states max current for any PWM out is 45mA, I don't know what's the Vf drop for each LED, but I'll assume you have set your resistors properly. The max current for the entire chip is 130mA, with the chip consuming 77mA itself. That leaves 53mA for driving all PWM. You should calculate the current each LED is drawing. If the sum exceeds 53mA you should use a transistor to drive each LED. This may not be an issue at this point, and this advice likely won't solve your immediate issue, but when you go to use all the PWM for LEDs this will definitely be an issue. Since the chip isn't cheap, you don't want to fry it.
    edited 2005-02-20 23:18
    Kevin,

Thanks for the link to the manual. When you say you left a pin "high", do you mean you left the pin open, as in not connected to anything? The docs say a pin not connected will be high. I just want to verify that you left it not connected as opposed to forcing it high with +5vdc.

The docs say that pin 7, RXINV, should be tied low for "true serial I/O". You show this pin tied low, but also with a connection to the host serial port. Is this line what you are using to connect to ground on the serial port? If so, that would seem ok.

A big concern I have is the pin 8 connection to the host. This docs define this as TTL level RS-232. However you are connecting this to the serial port on a PC which sends -12 to +12 vdc. I don't think that is a Good Thing. You need to use a level shifter like a MAX232 chip to allow the PAC-V to see only 5 volts.

Jim
    edited 2005-02-20 23:22
    This may be a stupid question but i'm going to ask anyway, if the l.e.d.s and current limiting resistors were close to drawing the remainder of that current and then all of the address pins were pulled low would that be enough current sunk from the address pins to blow the chip even if the l.e.d.s were not on?
    Thanks,
    Kevin
    ·
    edited 2005-02-20 23:53
    Jim

1. Yes pin high·i left it·unconnected.
    2. The RXINV is grounded and this is also the ground to the computer DB9 connector

I did notice on the old 18 pin Paks they use a 22k resistor and it does say you can connect to the DB9 connector, i may have got this confused with the new PAKV chips.

A l Williams website has a sample visual basic program that can be used to control the chip but doesn't say anything about not being able to connect it to the DB9 connector on the computer and doesn't say anything about using any other components.

I thought the DB9 connector was TTL RS232?

This page shows the PAKV on a circuit board with a DB9 connector! It looks like there is a resistor by the DB9 connector on this board not sure of the Ohms. This is not called out anywhere in the documentation as well as setting up the address lines like you were going to set them up in programming.
    http://www.awce.com/gp6.htm

Kevin

Post Edited (DigitalDj) : 2/21/2005 12:09:38 AM GMT
    edited 2005-02-21 00:21
    DigitalDj said...
    This may be a stupid question but i'm going to ask anyway, if the l.e.d.s and current limiting resistors were close to drawing the remainder of that current and then all of the address pins were pulled low would that be enough current sunk from the address pins to blow the chip even if the l.e.d.s were not on?
    Thanks,
    Kevin
    Its not a stupid question, the address is input, meaning it should have a high input resistance. This means there should be little current drawn on the address pins. When calculating current draw, you only incorperate output pins that can driven simultantously. You could use all eight ports connected to LEDs the way you've done, drawing max current for the pin if your program doesn't power more than LED at a time (like a sequencer), but if more than one is on simultaneously you can have a problem. The PWM outputs are push/pull but in the way you've connected the LEDs when the output is Low the LED is off, meaning no current is flowing in or out of the pin (theres leakage current, but its so small you don't need to consider it) so it will not contribute to current consumption, the same holds true for unconnected output pins.
    edited 2005-02-21 00:30
    The other thing i don't like is on the pictorial diagram it shows pin 25 as n/c but on the page for pin descriptions it calls out pin 25 as the multi pin which sets the chip for multi chip use.

I am basically searching at this time because i do not know what would cause the chip to fail just by the address lines!

Help!

Kevin
    ·
    edited 2005-02-21 00:31
    Kevin,

The purpose of the 22k resistor on the serial line is to drop the voltage from the PC's serial port down to TTL level (0-5vdc) for the PAK-V chip. You'd probably want to confirm it with Al, but I'd be willing to bet that straight RS-232 voltage levels into the chip would cause the magic smoke to leak out.

Jim
    edited 2005-02-21 00:48
    IMHO the specs provided leave much to be desired, this always makes me skiddish in trusting a product and its proper operation. This is by no means a testimonial towards the PAC5c, I've never used the product. If the product was labeled wrong or programmed wrong, theres a possibility one of the pins 25 or 19-22 is configured as output, if it is trying to drive the node high while you have it tied to ground this will cause a short circuit in the chip, blowing it. I'm not saying this is the case, but its a possibility.

In general to prevent things like this from happening, (IE this is very good SOP (standard operating procedure)) don't ever tie an input directly to either ground or supply. Instead use a SIP bus resistor, these are resistors which have one end tied together and the other ends are availible for connection, so an 8 resistor pack will have 9 pins, 1 common and 8 other terminals. A SIP is a single line package with the same spacing as a DIP so it breadboards easily. For your application, you would tie the common pin to ground and tie a seperate pin to each PAK input pin you want to tie low. If your pins are input, the low current draw causes the pin to see the low voltage (very little voltage drop across the resistor). If you accidently tie an output to the node, instead of causing a short circuit, the excess current is safely dissapated in the resistor. Plus it allows you to notice this problem by measuring the pin voltage with a DMM.

Paul
    edited 2005-02-21 00:50
    It hadn't done any damage prior to the problems with the address lines problem.

What·would the voltage be on the serial line when not active at the chip?

Do you think this would have an effect on the address lines.

Why wasn't it showed in the new PAKVb/c manual?
    Kevin
    ·
  • AlWilliamsAWCAlWilliamsAWC Posts: 135
    edited 2005-02-21 03:18
    I have exchanged quite a few e-mails with Kevin on this subject (a quick count in Outlooks shows 11 outbound messages). Although I am no longer involved in the day to day operations of AWC (long story -- several personal reasons for this), I have tried to shed some light on the situation. However, everyone should be using the support link to make sure their issues are tracked by the right people. Having e-mail show up in my inbox is not always the best way to reach even me because of spam filtering, travel, etc. (we are currently having local server issues and getting my mail on the road is nearly impossible). Using the support link will make sure that Jerid or Patrick or whoever is working these issues will get your message. AWC is alive and well but I have focused on other things lately as some of you may have noticed.

I would really enjoy being able to wire up everyone's circuts and test them, but the reality is even when I was personally·running AWC every day all day, we just can't prototype everyone's circuits. We try to help people in every way we can, but short of rasing the price of each chip to $500 or something, we can't offer custom design work to everyone or even anyone.

That being said:

1) Kevin: I know you are frustrated. If you decide to stop pursuing the PAK-V, then return everything along with all your order numbers and AWC will refund your money.

2) You can't hook the PAK directly up to a PC. The +/- 12V will greatly stress the input protection diodes and bad things will happen including a hot chip that is eventually burned up. The 22K resistor in series should work fine, but directly connecting it is not fine. I suspect in retrospect that this could be where you've burned up chips.·The manual clearly states this is a TTL level input. The 22K trick is not the preferred way to do it (a MAX232 or similar translator is best) but it is possible to make it work.

I am still having terrible e-mail problems -- I'm trying to get a connect long enough to grab about 5 days worth of mail (about 150-300 mails a day ads up). So I apologize for making Kevin this offer in public, but it may still be awhile before I can read the rest of his incoming mail and reply.

·
    edited 2005-02-21 04:29
    Maybe i'm old school when i say that examples be true to form, information in a manual be correct and pinouts on a chip be labeled properly. If you are going to have information on the site for hooking the chips to the computer then give correct information as how to hook it up. If your site would not have any examples then i would have no reason to complain. Yes it is my fault not putting 2 and 2 together on the chip being TTl level but this was all explained to you on my application a long time ago before i purchased the chip. I guess you are right that $25.00 for the chip was not enough for engineering help but if your selling a product there should be support and what i call customer personability which businesses don't have anymore. I suggested that some better information be put on your site and there should be some better clarification in the manuals. I was on one site where they offered 351 pages of engineering notes (wow) now that's what i call getting the info you need.

Yes i'm not a engineer and i am a experimenter, project builder that's where the fun is and that's why there is this discussion board.

I appologize to everyone that this discussion took off on the PAKV, this was not the intention if you look at the original post. I also appologize for this being a way to settle Al and my problems. But i feel that since i was having problems and i gave as much info to begin with and a picture of the circuit·that i expected better input and questions or asked for a diagram of what i was doing to solve the problem. It's just like most busineses they get your money, answer half of your email questions because they don't read it all.

Al, The offer was great but that's not what i want, i like the chip and just want the support and changes to be made, i have alot of time on this project. I believe that sending me another chip would suffice.
    Now! I feel better, but still have to get the circuit to work!
    Kevin
    ·
    edited 2005-02-21 05:16
    Kevin,

I think you are being excessively harsh on Al. While I've seen sites with better examples, his are pretty good. In fact, they are better than many products offered by big name companies. His pin out table clearly states that the serial connection is TTL level. If you didn't understand what that meant, or at least the implications of it, and hooked your chip up to the incorrect voltage levels you have only yourself to blame. Ask anybody on these forums that has hacked around, even the most experienced, if they've blown a chip before. Everybody does it periodically. But they don't blame the manufacturer for their own mistakes. When you buy an electronic chip there is a certain level of knowledge that the buyer must take upon themselves.

As to support levels, I've never purchased from Al's company so I don't know how their support is. But support costs money. Large quantities of support comes only from the money that huge volumes can provide, or that very high margins pay for. If you want a small company to review your proposed design, then provide full engineering support on a rapid turn-around basis, you should expect to pay significantly more money for the product than is being charged for the PAC-V.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Jim
    edited 2005-02-21 18:06
    You are correct the TTL mistake was mine, but there is some problems with the manual that i guess you didn't notice. I talked with AL, way back in the beginning about what i wanted to do nothing was mentioned about the resistor on the serial line and he even said himself this was not the best way to do this but yet they sell a board with a regulator, db9 connector, chip and etc. it has the resistor. If that's questionable for use than why isn't it setup with a max32 or equivelant. There is always the possiblity that my purchasing 3 chips could turn into alot more! I still don't believe that the TTL was the problem there was no signal to the chip, no leds turned on and the chip still blew from the address pins. I may purchase another chip, a max32 and possibly some sip buss resitstors, i will make sure it is fused properly etc.

Kevin