Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Brushless DC motors — Parallax Forums

Brushless DC motors

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2005-02-17 16:17 in General Discussion
I have been fooling around with electric flight [noparse][[/noparse]spent a week long vacation crashing my 'ready to fly' slow flyer].

All this has driven me to decide that I need something more powerful and durible to fly into a headwind.· The most popular leading edge motors are brushless DC motors that· basically originated from rewound from CDROM motors.· Still, these cost $150-200 USD when you include the controller and mounting hardware.

They all·require a unique [noparse][[/noparse]and expensive] speed controller that I would like to avoid buying.· Does anyone have generic insight into how these motors work and how the speed might be controled?

I imagine using a SX-28 or BasicStamp instead of the other, more expensive electronics.

There are spin offs in robotics applications.· Many of the brushless motors use gears to properly power the propeller.· So, the same gears [noparse][[/noparse]which are quite nice and durible might be used to adapt any high RPM dc motor to a slower rate of turn and H-bridge control.

I have managed to pull apart a DVD player in search of the CDROM brushless motors, but found only several nice conventional brush motors instead.· Nonetheless, this is again another source of good DC motors for 'junk bots'

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
G. Herzog in Taiwan

Comments