Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Speaking of copyright laws (CPLD Development kit) — Parallax Forums

Speaking of copyright laws (CPLD Development kit)

Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
edited 2005-02-16 01:21 in General Discussion
I am contemplating creating a low cost CPLD development package for Atmels line of CPLDs (44PLCC and 84PLCC) for users of this forum. I would like to bundle all elements nessesary for logic design using these devices including Atmel's freely availible WinCUPL software, I will not be charging for the incorperation of this, only to cover the cost of the CDR itself. The price will cover the cost of the programming cable, development board, assembly (kit will also be availible), and a small markup to make the effort worthwhile. Since I would charge money for this venture, am I prohibited for incorporating the the free software even though I am not charging for that software (the kit will include a CDR regardless because I plan on creating a library of·74XX devices uses can drop into thier programs for rapid development). I know·the people at atmel are the proper people to ask this question to, but I thought maybe·the folks at parallax (or other forum members) could give some guidance on this issue themselves.

Additionally I have included a poll to gauge interest in the venture.

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 2/15/2005 3:18:35 PM GMT

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-02-15 16:04
    I cannot respond to business aspects of this thread during work hours for obvious reasons, so be patient and I will respond to your questions/comments after work.
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-02-15 21:32
    Paul,

The license agreement which is displayed at install time specifically states that it is licensed for a single CPU and may not be copied. Additionally there appear to be export controls. It sounds like it would be safest to have people directly download it themselves from Atmel. You could try contacting them and ask to distribute it. Who knows, they might say yes.

Jim
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-02-15 21:59
    That was my last resort, Id prefer to not have to ask them since they offer thier own, and mine will substantially undercut thiers.
  • kb2hapkb2hap Posts: 218
    edited 2005-02-16 01:21
    maybe you could just put an HTML index on the cd that will point people to were they can download it. Then you could also throw things like data sheets,experiments, and other info on the cd.· Maybe Atmel may not have a problem anyways, aren't they really out to sell more of there product(the chips), which if your CPLD development board is more cost effective it could bring more people to use there products. it may be a long shot but ya never know.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    DTQ