Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
AIRPAX Stepper Motor Pinout — Parallax Forums

AIRPAX Stepper Motor Pinout

steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
edited 2005-02-03 02:49 in General Discussion
Hi Guys,

Today is my jackpot day...the boss is starting to throw out some old junk and I'm scoring!

Anyhow, he gave me an old AIRPAX stepper motor from an old teletype machine (old machine of some sort...console/printer/VAX?)

I was wondering what the pinouts might be.· It's a bi-polar stepper (2 groups of 3 wires going in to separate parts of the motor--see pic).

Red, Yellow and Green/Grey (colourblind) go in to one port and Black, White, and Blue/Purple.
My quick assumption is that there are 2 center-tapped coils and that the green/Grey is #1 coils' CT and the Black is #2 coils' CT.

So my question is....is there a standard colour format that would indication which of the other colours are the coil tops and coil bottoms?! (+/- if you will!?)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
·

Steve
http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2005-02-02 21:52
    Your motor is uni-polar, so it shouldn't be hard to figure out what wire is which.
    If you measure the resistance on each set of three, you will get close to the same resistance from the common to each of the other two wires.

Bean.
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-02-03 02:49
    you sure it's uni-polar?· Had seen a couple of diagrams on the Net that indicate 6 wires as having 2 coils (bi-polar?).....or is the bi-polar indicative of the magnetic orientation....

OK...I'm·a knob.· Read the attached file and was thinking bi-polar...but it IS uni-polar....sorry bout that!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
    743 x 1484 - 44K