Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
More detailed description of Nuts and Volts columns — Parallax Forums

More detailed description of Nuts and Volts columns

ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
edited 2005-02-03 00:02 in General Discussion
I'd like to see a more detailed description of each Nuts and Volts column (listed at Parallax.com) be shown. A sentence for each column would be good. "Silicon Steroids for your Stamp" just doesn't cut it. Thanks.

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2005-02-01 01:39
    Forrest:

Me too. It's a heck of a lot of work considering we have well over 100 columns. I'd also like these descriptions for our web page.

Maybe we can strike a deal. . . I provide you with the books (those which are still in print) and laser printed copies of the other books and you produce a written summary of each one. In exchange, I'll open the "Parallax shop" for you to take whatever you'd like to have (within reason, of course).

Let me know if you are interested.

Ken Gracey - kgracey@parallax.com
    Parallax, Inc.
  • JonbJonb Posts: 146
    edited 2005-02-01 02:24
    Who wouldn't be interested in such a generous offer!
    Forrest·is right, it could be better. Personally I'm just happy they are online.·
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-02-01 07:46
    Hey Im up for the challenge, I spend the majority of my job researching then writing documents that are both technical and legal in nature (though the legal part I don't care for, which is good cause this task doesn't call for it) And I can always use some extra goodies [noparse]:)[/noparse] But the contest is number 1 on the totem pole and I'm slightly behind schedule on that so ixnay until March.

Paul

BTW I just looked at the job offer you referred to a while back, its alot more interesting that I thought it would be. (serves me right for judging a job by its title). I'm going to go look and see what state my resume is in.

Paul

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 2/1/2005 7:50:13 AM GMT
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-02-02 17:44
    Hmm, the offer sounds interesting - but I don't have that much free time. Paul - it's yours if you want it.
  • NateNate Posts: 154
    edited 2005-02-02 20:32
    Paul, if you are not interested, I will volunteer for the project.

I have also been pondering a efficient way to collate the data gathered in these forums - many little tidbits that are interesting, but hard to catalog in such a way that they are easily found when needed.

Nate
    ·
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-02-02 21:12
    I'm not a fan of the search function of the forum so I like the idea of there being a 'quick resource' page.

Like stepper motor links or wiring etc....

Good for newbies!

Maybe have a 'sticky' forum called 'NEWBIES READ FIRST'

might save on repeating things.

And a file section would be fantastic (hint hint wink wink)....this is sorely missed since the migration from YahooGroups.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-02-02 22:42
    Yeah I think its doable, perhaps keep the traditional webpage for those pursists out there but provide an index as well, something like this (this is just a quick bang to bouce my concept off the rest of you):

Stamp Modules
    ·· "Industrial Cup of Joe" Highlights the Stamp PLC, a stamp carriage for industrial control applications
    ·· "Making it Motorized" Pololu Dual Serial Motor controller

Applications
    ····· Communications
    ········· Wireless
    ············ Optical
    ··············· Article 1....
    ············ RF
    ········· Wired
    ············ Dallas 1-wire

····· Motor Control
    ········· Article 1...

····· Sensors
    ········· Temperature
    ········· Motion

····· Display
    ········· Seven Segment Display Driver

But like I said, the amount of time I can dedicate to this this month is very small. If one of you feels like you can get this mostly accomplished by the first of March, I yeild the project to you.

Paul

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 2/2/2005 10:48:18 PM GMT
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-02-03 00:02
    Guess I'd better come out of the closet.

After Paul said he was too busy I PM'ed Ken and offered my services. He accepted and says the books should be here shortly.

Of course, now that I've publicly out'ed myself, I have no where to hide if it takes longer than you guys want. freaked.gif

Paul, I like your cross-linked outline idea. Ken has asked for a short paragraph on each article. In addition to that I've been trying to think about a simple index that would allow just such a look up without requiring a fully indexed search. MS Word has, or at least used to have, a pretty good indexing tool. I play with that and see what I can come up with. OTH, once the summary is online, their site search would index it. But that wouldn't be hierarchical.

Jim