Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RC servo motor to be continuous — Parallax Forums

RC servo motor to be continuous

crexsoncrexson Posts: 6
edited 2005-02-02 14:34 in General Discussion
how can i change a RC serco motor from non-continuous to be rotate continuous?

beside of removing the nod on the gear and doing adjustment on the potential meter...
wat else i can do?
wat i should do ont he circuit to make the rc servo motor to rotate continuous?
·

Comments

• JonbJonb Posts: 146
    edited 2005-02-01 03:07
    Google.

Post Edited (Jonb) : 2/2/2005 3:44:09 AM GMT
  • crexsoncrexson Posts: 6
    edited 2005-02-01 03:51
    thankz for Jonb...but those method was about removing stop nod and adjust the potential meter....
    i got found many solution in that but that all is about removing the stop nod on the gear and doing adjustment on the potential meter also.....

is there any other solution on the circuit board to do that?
    i heard about Hitec got a solution about changing the connecetion of the resistor on the circuit board..but i can't found it...
    anyone knew about that?
    edited 2005-02-01 08:06
    still unable to found it....
    anyone help??
  • Russ FergusonRuss Ferguson Posts: 206
    edited 2005-02-01 12:59
    The modification of a standard servo to be continuous rotation will require a modification to both the mechanical parts and the electrical parts.

A standard servo has mechanical limits (controlled by the design of feed-back system) which must be eliminated before the servo arm will be able to turn continuously.

This same mechanical system provides feed back to the electronics about the position of the servo arm. The feed-back system must be electrically by-passed so that the servo arm can move continuously and not recieve irrelavant information about the servo arm position.

It would be interesting to find that there are some servos that do not require modifications to both of these systems.

Russ
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-02-01 13:22
    Parallax has continuous rotation servos.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester?

http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html
    ·
    edited 2005-02-02 01:34
    Yeah..it is Hitec RC servo,
    but about the model no. i'm not sure with it....
    should be 5995

So for a standard servo to be continuous rotation·must·require a modification to the mechanical part which is removing the stop tab on the main output gear...
    how about modification on the electronic parts(circuit)?

·
    edited 2005-02-02 03:22
    ok...i got the model no. now...
    it is Hitec HS-645MG (ultra torque)...
    so can anyone help?
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-02-02 13:51
    There really are much better web pages on modifying servo's than this forum.
    Check out www.kronosrobotics.com on Servo for the most thorough tutorial.

It's not hard, but it is intricate, and some servo's don't support it at all.
  • John BondJohn Bond Posts: 369
    edited 2005-02-02 14:34
    Guys

I converted a servo that was supplied by Scott Edwards (I think) and has been in my parts box for some years. These were the steps involved for this particular servo. Please don’t send me the bill if your servo is different.

1. The four screws, one at each corner holds the servo together. They are self-tapers so handle them carefully. Don’t over tighten them and don’t pull the servo apart too often.
    2. Electronic required little modification. You just insert a resistor divider network to replace the pot. I assumed that the pot was at mid point. My resistors won’t fit in the original case but then I don’t work very small (I liked valves because you could get a hand round them). Test the motor with you divider before proceeding.
    3. There are two stops that prevent continuous rotation, one in the pot and one on the gears. Pull the servo to pieces on a large sheet of white paper and remember how it comes apart. You can’t put it together wrongly but this may save you some head scratching. Remove the pot.
    4. The rotation stop in the pot means you need to trash the pot to get to it. I ended up just using the bearing and shaft of the pot and chucking the rest away.
    5. The other rotation stop is a square block on one of the white plastic gears. Carefully cut this off with a Stanley knife.
    6. Carefully reassemble the servo and check that the servo rotates continuously (more than 360 Deg). Don’t force it in any way during assembly.
    7. Try it out and it should work perfectly.

Heck! If a thick old African can do it, anyone can.

Kind regards from Kwa Dukuza

John Bond