Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
M-Sorter Popularity — Parallax Forums

M-Sorter Popularity

Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax EngineeringPosts: 14,406
edited 2005-02-05 21:02 in General Discussion
I posted a little bit of information on my personal website way back when Parallax had the M-Sorter contest.· I got mine just after the contest was over (Too late), but decided to post some information, pics and a video clip of it working on my website.

Well I am in the middle of completely re-vamping the entire site, and all of the sudden I am getting 2 to 3 e-mails a day, mostly about the M-Sorter, but also about the Better Mousetrap and other projects.· One guy finally let the cat out of the bag (Or the mouse out of the trap, as the case may be).

Apparently there's a website called, "The Red Ferret Journal" which has posted a link to my M-Sorter information page.· Here's the link:· http://www.enorgis.com/index.php?s=sorter

Sure!· They all visit while the site's a MESS!!!· blush.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Chris Savage
Parallax Tech Support
csavage@parallax.com

Post Edited (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 4/8/2005 6:04:56 AM GMT

Comments

• steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-02-01 02:34
    Oh man....they've got the project I've been working on too!· The 'Blue Power Wrapper Bank'....
    I hate it when someone beats me to the punch!· Grrrr....· and for $20 too! lol

Now I have to try something else....cry.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-02-01 02:52
    Just another example that you should watermark all images on your site. Did you notice that the picture on that page was scarfed up onto their website and is not a link to your site? The least they could do is provide credits for the photos that they swipe.

Jim
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-02-01 03:23
    Jim,

·· I would complain, but they did link to my site if you click the text link for M&M Sorter.· The other link is to Parallax's website, which I linked to from mine as well...

·· 95% of the comments I get on my site, projects or Parallax's products in general are positive.· A lot of people never heard of them, and in searching for projects found my site, and are turned on to Parallax products.· But there's that 5% (It's probably more like 1%, but seems more when they stand out) that e-mails me with a bunch of Smile.· One guy said the M-Sorter was pretty pathetic, I needed to get a life, and wanted to know what my imaginary girlfriend thought of it (I'm married).· Which proves there's one in every crowd that you can't please.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com

Post Edited (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 4/8/2005 6:05:05 AM GMT
    edited 2005-02-05 08:15
    Well, I was away for 4 days...I just got home tonight, and my E-Mail is LOADED with messages about the M-Sorter!· People want me on their Radio Stations, and a whole bunch of other things.·· During my time away I got an emergency phone call that part of my website had been shut down due to excessive bandwidth.

It seems someone found the M-Sorter Pics/Video on my website and posted them at:

http://www.gorillamask.net/

Then I was sent another message from my ISP saying that many of the hits were linking from:

www.fark.com or more specifically:· http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=1332790

It was clearly stated on the page that the M-Sorter was a Parallax product, but everyone is mailing me as if *I* designed it.· Now my page is down because of the sudden popularity...Ah well...If you want a good laugh, read some of the comments posted on the fark forums...

BTW, what's a fark?· confused.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com

Post Edited (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 4/8/2005 6:05:13 AM GMT
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-02-05 16:19
    The funniest post by far is the guy that holds survival of the fittest MnM contest by a head to head squishing match, then sending the winner of the entire bag back to Mars Inc asking them to use that MnM for breeding purposes. And people complain that someone assmebling the M-Sorter has no life. Though it seems he lifted it from another sorce, still its pretty funny. The post claiming he sped it up with a briggs and stratton lawnmower only to find them fly across the room stricking the wall in splotches of color but noted that the same color ones struck the same area is pretty funny too.

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 2/5/2005 4:25:05 PM GMT
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-02-05 16:54
    Woo Hoo! You're famous! smile.gif

Just be glad that you weren't posted on the front page of Slashdot.

Jim

(p.s. The "Woo Hoo" was not sarcasm, although it might be read that way. I think it's cool.)
    edited 2005-02-05 21:02
    Interestingly enough, after posting the above message I rechecked my messages...Because my site was shut down, people went to the root folder and found that intact and posted to my wife's e-mail what they couldn't get to me!

Yes, there was some negative comments about the M-Sorter.· But let's face it, a lot of people give an opinion without even knowing anything about what they're commenting on.· I saw tons of negative comments about the segway when it came out, yet these people had no appreciation for the technical aspects of it.· Comments were like, "It looks stupid, I wouldn't be caught dead riding one!"· Those posts are so narrow minded, and so the same with the M-Sorter...Those people who really aren't in a position to comment, probably shouldn't, but do nonetheless...

I still think it got a bunch of extra PR for Parallax, since that's the place to get it, as well as the Micro to drive it!· smilewinkgrin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com

Post Edited (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 4/8/2005 6:05:22 AM GMT