Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Which stamp? — Parallax Forums

Which stamp?

PyroWorxPyroWorx Posts: 1
edited 2005-01-23 18:59 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I'm a 1st year electronics student and I would like to start using microcontrollers for my projects.
I have no previous experience in programming, although we do learn basic Java-programming in class.

Which of the stamp modules is the easiest to start off with?
I know there is a lot of code already written for various Basic stamp projects, but at school I get tought Java.
Which is easier to start off with, java or basic?

I'm particularly interested in interfacing the CM8880 DTMF tranceiver chip with a stamp module.

Thanks,

-Magnus-
Norway
confused.gif

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-01-02 21:01
    Magnus,

Our must popular product is the BS2 -- we've sold millions. That said, we do make a Java-compatible version called the Javelin. It's not as popular as our BASIC Stamp family, but we do have devoted users doing really cool things with them. No matter what controller you select, get your electronics skills sharpened too; using microcontrollers involves programming AND circuit interfacing. Lots of experienced programmers do damage to their Stamp modules because they don't understand the circuits connected to them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-01-02 23:23
    And lots of electronics guys hook up the circuit and end up staring at the stamp expecting it to do the rest on its own!

Luckily, Parallax chose a form of Basic for the programming language so that a big lug like me can figure some of it out!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    http://www.geocities.com/paulsopenstage

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."

• Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2005-01-02 23:53
    I highly recommend going to Radio Shack and getting "What's a Microcontroller?" - Afforable and very informative.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=276-625

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel

Electronic Systems Technologies
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale
    Personal Links - ·Lot of BASIC Stamp info
    and
    SelmaWare Solutions
    StampPlot Pro Version 3 Release 4
    Graphical Data Acquisition for your Micro and Imagination!
    Now allows additional controls to be added, or developed.
    ·
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-01-03 00:49
    Steve said...
    And lots of electronics guys hook up the circuit and end up staring at the stamp expecting it to do the rest on its own!

Steve,

Start with the CONTEMPLATE command. It's just recently released. For your first code attempt, use the NAVEL argument. turn.gif

-Jim
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-01-03 15:02
    Jim is being funny, of course.
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-01-03 18:04
    Nah, I'd never do that. smile.gif

Jim
  • Jonathan AllisonJonathan Allison Posts: 96
    edited 2005-01-21 16:46
    can anyone recomend a good book on circuitry?

I would be one of those with programming knowledge who blew up his chip! I thought I knew enough circuitry for this, but obviously, it wasn't enough tongue.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Johnny
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-01-21 16:53
    A great place to ease into things is with Forrest M Mimms "Getting Started In Electronics." You may still be able to find it at RadioShack. When I worked in the turf industry I used this book to teach electronics fundamentals to those who were accustomed to dealing with water pipe and sprinkler heads. In fact, I used to tell them that electronics and hydraulics were often pretty close -- except that breaking a wire would not result in a stream of electrons spilling onto the ground.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2005-01-23 18:59
    What are you going to do with the CM8880 chip?
    bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    So many projects, so little time.