Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cold Heat Soldering Iron? — Parallax Forums

Cold Heat Soldering Iron?

Pinky&BrainPinky&Brain Posts: 2
edited 2005-01-11 02:05 in General Discussion
Anyone used this thing?· I keep seeing the infomercial for it and have thought about getting it.· It's cordless and apparently heats up and cools down at a very rapid pace.· I can't tell how big the tip is so I am not sure if it is practical for tiny soldering but they show them doing it on the commercial.· Not that they are doing it right so who knows.

Any help on this?

Anyone even heard of it?

Jeremy (Pinky&Brain)

Comments

• Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-01-09 17:36
    This was covered in the thread:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=516557

and possible others.

Jim
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-01-09 18:43
    I sure wouldn't use a soldering iron that produces a spark to solder IC's - unless I wanted to kill the IC.

I've used a 15 watt soldering iron for years and it's worked well, and it only costs $8.39 - http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&category_name=CTLG_011_009_007_003&product_id=64-2051
    Replacement tips are available at Radio Shack for $1
  • Pinky&BrainPinky&Brain Posts: 2
    edited 2005-01-09 22:16
    Thank you for the info Forrest.· And Jim, I did a search before posting and didn't find anything so sorry.
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-01-09 23:43
    Yeah, I had to struggle to find the posting. Sorry, I should have commented about that in my reply. My bad. blush.gif

I then posted in the support forum about the brain dead search engine and was informed by the Jim The IT Guy that they are testing a new search engine for the forums and that it may installed next week. One can only hope!

Jim
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-01-11 02:05
    I got one from thinkgeek.com before they started advertising it on TV. I find its too awkward for fine pitch work. I use Xytronic 137ESD with the mini-wave tip and I swear by it, I can do .65 pitch work without much hassle. Ive used the cold-heat only a couple times on some not so delicate work, It works as expected. The tip is roughly 1/4" wide with a millimeter or two spacing between the electrodes, just fine for DIP work. About the spark, its just an arc flowing to the path of least resistance (the other electrode) I wouldn't worry too much about it because its a low voltage/high current apparatus and ESD is typically measured in kV (which this thing doesn't even approach). This is evidenced by the fact that the circuit doesn't complete until the non touching electrode is a very small fraction of a millimeter (I can just barely see daylight between). Remember voltage is the potential for electrons to flow, current is the flow of electrons, its high voltage thats bad for chips not current (well current thats not flowing through the chip).