Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Servo Noise Isolation — Parallax Forums

Servo Noise Isolation

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2004-12-29 16:00 in Robotics
I have been looking at a generic wheeled robot design in December Nuts and Volts and it shows using a diode from the +V and a large capictor from +V to goung in order to block servo motor noise from going into the power supply.

Like this:

+5 volts supply >
<Diode for blocking Noise>
+5 to R/C type servos
················································································· |
··················································································| +
················································································===·· 330 mF capacitor
· ··············································································· | _
··················································································|
················································································· V···· To Ground (-)

Alternatively,

Is it just okay to separate the BasicStamp from the servo motor supply by providing a separate 7805 with appropriate capacitors·to the motor and allowing the Stamp to use its on-board regulator for the digital?

It seems to me that it would be as good or better?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
G. Herzog in Taiwan

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2004-12-29 16:00
    Yes, a separate 7805 for the Servo's provides sufficient isolation.

Make sure the BS2 and Servo's have a common ground, though, the Servo uses the common ground to correctly read the commanded pulse width.

And I don't think Servo's are nearly as noisy as 'pure' electric motors. They do pull current in 'pulses' though.