Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hardware..as in, spacers, screws, nuts, etc. — Parallax Forums

Hardware..as in, spacers, screws, nuts, etc.

DonWDonW Posts: 37
edited 2005-01-10 23:50 in General Discussion
I use several sources for small #2 thru #6 hardware...all have their plusses and minuses..and most of the time, I have what I need without ordering.

But..of late, I've needed to replenish the supply, and would like to get any recommendations for sources for this kind of hardware...seems like weeding thru several pages of several catalogs is getting more and more the norm..and would prefer a one stop source to avoid that..

·

Comments

• Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2004-12-24 05:34
    www.mcmaster.com

Try to get ahold of one of their printed catalogs. Amazing.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • DonWDonW Posts: 37
    edited 2004-12-24 12:41
    Thanks!

I have them on my 'favorites" list already, so I must have looked at them at one point or another..definitely need to take another look..
  • StarManStarMan Posts: 306
    edited 2004-12-25 05:50
    What's really amazing about McMaster is their delivery response.· I always receive my parts by the next day and sometimes the same day I order.· That's with a standard shipping charge.

Chris Isaacson
  • um..., Hium..., Hi Posts: 64
    edited 2004-12-28 21:18
    just goto lowes or Homedepot or some other hardware store

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I wish i knew how to put a pic here! Oh, well!
    edited 2004-12-28 22:38
    Been there, done that...but those guys only go as low as #6, maybe #4, at best.

I found a good deal for an assortment of hardware thru Digi-Key...and mcmaster is even more amazing if I want to go that route...
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2004-12-28 22:55
    If you're looking for some really small stuff... check out smallparts.com. Their catalog makes for some pretty interesting reading.

Cheers,
    Jim
  • Alan BradfordAlan Bradford Posts: 172
    edited 2004-12-29 01:51
    If you live in a semi urban area check out:

www.fastenal.com

They have hundreds of stores coast to coast and specialize in fastening devices from #2 through 3-4 inch diameter bridge bolts that weigh 10 lbs.

If they dont have what you want in stock, they can get it overnight to the branch store. At no extra charge to you.
    The drawback is everything is sold in· bags of 100's. But then 100 #2 screws may only cost $1.50.

The prices are usually better than Digikey.
    And no I do not work for them or Digikey, but they are in my favorite group of vendors.

Check them out.

Alan Bradford
    Plasma Technologies
    edited 2004-12-29 03:38
    I did a search, and found a Fastenal within 10 miles of me..and had never heard of them..

And the request for the smallparts.com catalog has already been submitted..

Thanks for both of the recommendations.
  • DrWass2DrWass2 Posts: 2
    edited 2005-01-10 07:11
    Believe it or not but· Digi Key has a very nice assortment of screws either philips or slotted....· range 2-56·· 4-40· 6-32· 8-32· with nuts and lock washers.··· Excellent kit in very nice box... Price is good too ~$18 for a·1600 piece package, 100 of each size.
    Look up "hardware" in the index..then screws
    The slotted kit·· is 1600-KIT-ND· and the philips head is 1602-KIT-ND.
    There are also kits that skip the 2-56 and 4-40 and extend to 10-32.

I have spent a fortune at Small Parts getting a complete set of Stainless steel screws for my lab.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    DrWass2
    edited 2005-01-10 11:49
    Those Digi-key packages are the ones I mentioned a few posts up...and yea, they are definitely a good source of general hardware.
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-01-10 22:26
    Don't know how many you're after, but what about your local hobby shop?

I'm actually trying to hunt down some #0-60's (I think 60's) for replacing some screws in a digital camera I had to fix.· Them buggers put those 'security' screws in (instead of a 4point philips style, it was a 3 point)....had to drill them out and now I don't have screws! [noparse]:p[/noparse]

Anyhow, don't be shy of using the secret Canadian screw!· The Robertson! [noparse];)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    http://www.geocities.com/paulsopenstage

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-01-10 23:03
    Steve why don't you get this: http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=BT-33&type=store·it will help you·from having to resort to such drastic measures in the future! I've thought of getting a set myself to get into places I shouldn't (like the control panel of the elevator in my building) but decided I won't cause I don't need that kind of trouble.

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 1/10/2005 11:09:39 PM GMT
    edited 2005-01-10 23:08
    Steve said...
    I'm actually trying to hunt down some #0-60's (I think 60's)

Small Parts lists 1-64, 0-80 and 00-90.

There is a chart of standard screw sizes at www.engineersedge.com/screw_threads_chart.htm and they also list 1-64 and 0-80. Unless they custom made their screws, you may have the pitch wrong. Or maybe there is a different set of standards out there for that kind of thing.

Jim
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-01-10 23:24
    Paul:· I guess I should have posted here first!· $10 is a nice price for all those fittings!· I'm SOL now, but maybe I'll still pick them up!

Jim: My boss is a hobby train enthusiast and brought in his 'small' set of screws.· I compared one surviving screw to his 0-80's and although there were the right 'barrel' size, the pitch was way off.· More like a wood screw than a machine screw.· Granted, these screws just went in to plastic, so they were much more coarse!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    http://www.geocities.com/paulsopenstage

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."

edited 2005-01-10 23:50
    Steve,

Ok, I know the type you mean. You might try www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/TX.cfm and see if they'll thread in. It depends on how brittle the plastic is as to whether they'll just cut new thread or not. OTH, $13.50 for 10 screws is a little pricey just to see if it'll work.

Jim