Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Toshiba/Sony/IBM CELL Processor — Parallax Forums

Toshiba/Sony/IBM CELL Processor

EddieEddie Posts: 15
edited 2004-12-09 05:38 in General Discussion
Has anyone here been following this processor currently in development?

It will go in the Playstation 3; but it will hit workstations and servers before that.

My architecture knowledge is limited to a single Comp Arch course; so I can not look at it and come up with a conclusion of how it will compare to others on the market.

I am interested to hear what people here think about it.

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2004-12-09 05:12
    There's not much in common between the Sony/IBM Cell processor and the BASIC Stamp or the SX processor. The BASIC Stamp is an 8-bit, low power, low speed processor while the Sony/IBM Cell processor is a 32/64 bit, high power, high speed processor. The processors Parallax cells run more than 1000 times slower than the Cell processor - but they also use about 1000 times less power - which is a good thing if you're running off a 9-volt battery.
  • EddieEddie Posts: 15
    edited 2004-12-09 05:38
    I'm not that much of a novice that I would comfuse it for something in the same class as the SX [noparse];)[/noparse]

I was just wondering if anyone has sufficient knowledge to understand the architecture based on what has been released, and compare it to its competition; which is the Power5, x86, and new 64 bit processors.