Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
any way to rig 5 cd players to run off one acdc converter? — Parallax Forums

any way to rig 5 cd players to run off one acdc converter?

markmcleod50markmcleod50 Posts: 27
edited 2004-11-15 17:16 in General Discussion
i am using 5 cd players in a sculpture project and would rather not buy 5 acdc converters...the cd players were only $10 a pop. they run on 4 aa batteries or 4 volts from a dc line in. is there any way i could splice from an acdc converter and run electrical wire to the battery terminals to get them to all run off one converter? would i use the 4 volts, the 1.5 aa volts, or 5 times 1.5 volts since i have 5 cd players. any ideas?

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2004-11-14 03:30
    4 1.5V batteries equals 6VDC...Are you sure the line in voltage is 4VDC?· Either way, all units would require the same voltage input as they require individually...But you would need an adapter that could supply enough current to power them all at once.· For example, if one unit draws 200mA, then you would need a 1000mA adapter.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Knight Designs
    324 West Main Street
    P.O. Box 97
    Montour Falls, NY 14865
    (607) 535-6777

Business Page:·· http://www.knightdesigns.com
    Personal Page:··· http://www.lightlink.com/dream/chris
    Designs Page:··· http://www.lightlink.com/dream/designs
    ·
  • markmcleod50markmcleod50 Posts: 27
    edited 2004-11-14 05:27
    sorry, but the dc line is in 4.5 volts, and only 2 aa, or 3 volts. I tried running my variable acdc adapter and touching the battery terminals on the back with it set at 1.5, 3, and 4volts and had no luck.

does anyone know what diamter solder wire i should use for a 30 watt gun when doing resistors and the like?
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2004-11-15 17:16
    Regarding the diameter of solder - it is really what you personally prefer.

Large gauges (something like a 12 gauge copper wire) is really for soldering 12 guage copper wire or sheet metal (such as rain gutters).

Small gauge (like 20 gauge) is for delicate work, such as printed circuit boards with tiny ICs.

If your solder is too big a diameter, you find that you get too much in the wrong places.

Also, it is important to clear the tip of excess solder. When I was a kid, I used to shake the iron, but solder splatters were found everywhere.
    Now, I have a brass scouring pad that I just scrub the tip with and the excess sticks to the brass. I suppose you could use iron wool, but it rusts, can easily catch fire, and creates a magnetic dust which sticks to the backsides of speaker or magnitized tools.

Oh, the 30 watt gun will also work faster with smaller gauge solder. And, you may want to use a solder wick [noparse][[/noparse]copper mesh tape] to drain off excess solder.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    G. Herzog in Taiwan