Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Robotics Competitions??? — Parallax Forums

Robotics Competitions???

J. A. StreichJ. A. Streich Posts: 158
edited 2004-11-30 18:48 in Robotics
Anyone know of any robotics compitions of good reputation in the midwest (preferably Wisconsin).? I've googled quite a bit, but to no avail.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Comments

• MatthewMatthew Posts: 200
    edited 2004-11-09 05:39
    Seems like the FIRST competition is the most popular. You are talking about high school competitions, right? I read somewhere that MIT sometimes approaches the high placing teams. I'm currently looking into this competition and will try and form a team for next year.
  • J. A. StreichJ. A. Streich Posts: 158
    edited 2004-11-09 06:04
    College level... FIRST is highschool only.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2004-11-09 15:40
    Carnegie-Mellon in Pittsburgh has one each year. I know it's in the wrong place, but you may find links to other competitions.
  • J. A. StreichJ. A. Streich Posts: 158
    edited 2004-11-09 16:06
    I recently joined my Uni's student chapter of IEEE-CS and they have an abandon robotics project. Last meeting I and a few other people took intrest in the project and want to make something of it (at the moment, we have the resources but no direction) and I thought that some kind of compition would give focus to the project. I was thinking about maze solving, line walking or sumo would be best -- because combat would be very expensive.

The main reason my personal BOE bot hasn't progressed is lack of matrials, but the orginization's bot has the matrials -- just not focus and/or people... So, we want to change that. Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.
  • edited 2004-11-09 18:46
    Not in Wisconsin, but... within a few states ;-)

Easter Canadian Robot Games, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, www.robotgames.ca
    Chicago Area Robot Club, Aurora, IL, www.chibots.org
    Central Illinois Robotics Club, Peoria, IL, http://circ.mtco.com/index.htm
    Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, annual public "Easter Egg hunt" competition, http://www.eecs.cwru.edu/courses/lego375/

I think the first three·contests·either just happened or are happening this weekend... not sure when the Egg Hunt occurs.

Kris
    ·
  • ReVeRsEReVeRsE Posts: 6
    edited 2004-11-24 16:20
    I would like to know the shape of robots in small-league
    If they have something to grab the ball, ect...
  • David M. H.David M. H. Posts: 2
    edited 2004-11-30 18:48
    Have you heard of Servo magazine? They have a listing each month of coming events for robots all around the country. Servo is a new magazine devoted to robotic enthusiasts, amatuer and professional. Another magazine that has been doing a lot of writing on BASIC Stamps and robotics for a number of years has been Nuts&Volts. A lot of BASIC Stamp articles were writen there. So many in fact they have published 4 books of past articles. Last year they spun off their new magazine, Servo to keep up with robotics without crowding out their other articles. Both Nuts&Volts and Servo can be found on the web.