Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
rogue blue BOE robot — Parallax Forums

rogue blue BOE robot

teegeeteegee Posts: 5
edited 2004-11-03 20:51 in Robotics
I've just bought 2 of these but we aint having much success getting the robot to respond although communication and donload seems to be OK. We have no sensors connected and no other connections made on the breadboard. We are using the GUI software for programming. Is·this OK. The class is a mixed ability group of beginners (same as me!) so I really need·a simple programming interface for some of them.·HELP

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2004-10-22 03:29
    Teegee,

What GUI software for programming? The Parallax Boe-Bot GUI software?

I'd use the Parallax Robotics with the Boe-Bot text, even though you have a Rogue robot. Our text can take you through every step of programming, starting with the absolute basics of motor control.

Here is a link to the Robotics text. Print it out and bring it to the class and you'll be miles ahead.

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/siccurriculum/documentation_sic_curriculum.asp - Robotics with the Boe-Bot.

The advertisement for the Rogue robot says that it has educational curriculum included. If this is the case, why the trouble?

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • teegeeteegee Posts: 5
    edited 2004-10-24 21:03
    Thanks for responding Ken.
    I am trying to use the GUI Bot software as described in the parallax CD/documentation/basic stamps. The reason I need this is the class is an enrichment class ie I have students ranging from those who no nothing of electronics or programming to computer students who can program. The GUI is needed for the former group. The document -using the GUI Bot software.pdf states that it will not work correctly unless it is configured as shown in the diagram where it is shown with connections on the breadboard to infrared sensors. I currently have no sensors connected. My question is simply, can I use the GUI software to program the rogue with no connections on the breadboard.

I have the the text you suggest and this will be great for my "advanced" students but I really need the simple GUI for the others. Thanks again.
    edited 2004-10-25 16:44
    Teegee,

Okay, I understand now.

The GUIBot should be able to work with any BASIC Stamp 2 - servo controlled robot, even without sensors. Either use the beginner version, or check the "no sensors" box in the Advanced version to disable sensors. Does it work now? With sensors disabled then the downloader will only write code for basic motor control. With sensors enabled, you will have I/O pins floating around and the robot will not perform as expected due to false triggering.

Even though I like the GUIBot software, I'd still recommend going straight to the Parallax Robotics with the Boe-Bot book for your project. Within a day your students would be able to make the robot do basic movement. And the programming aspect will be much more rewarding. Give it a try, please.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2004-10-26 18:22
    Hello,

If you any questions regarding the software or codes that are used in the Robotic's text, please feel free to contact me at:

dandreae@parallax.com . I can help the students with their wiring questions and code questions.

Dave Andreae
    Parallax,Inc.
    edited 2004-10-31 22:44
    Thanks for the offer Dave. We tried Kens suggestion about using the programming software and got one of the·Rogues responding as expected. The students were really pleased (and so was I!!). The other still isn't working so·I need to check it out this week. The working Rogue still does not work using the GUI software. I do need to get this working for my novices. Any ideas.

Thanks
    edited 2004-11-01 16:09
    Teegee,

I have an idea - use the Parallax Robotics text. The programs in it should run fine in the Boe-Bot. And without sensors, it will be just as easy to explain the EEPROM-based Boe-Bot program which stores direction/distance data in the EEPROM and uses READ/WRITE to retrieve the data.

All the students have to do is edit one line of code:

DATA F,10,L,8,R,5 etc etc.

Ken
    edited 2004-11-02 22:15
    Ken,

I follow what you are saying and that would be a simple method for the novices and would also hook them into programming.Good idea!·I now need to clarify what version of Robotics text I should be using. I have a basic stamp 2 REV B. The text is version 1.5. Is this OK? In this the navigation instruction syntax is················ data··· "FFFBBLFFRFFQ"· which is different to yours. Is this because of different versions? will either syntax work OK.

Hope you voted for the right man!

Regards
    edited 2004-11-02 22:41
    Teegee,

Send me your shipping address off-line kgracey@parallax.com and I'll get you the latest Robotics text in print. Let me know if you already have the Boe-Bot, too, please.

If you want it for download the text prior to receiving it, you'll find it right here:

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/books/edu/Roboticsv2_2.pdf

As you pointed out, my syntax is different than yours. This is because our new Robotics text has code for distance and direction (not just direction).

This is a much-advanced and highly-refined improvement to our prior 1.5 version - there's actually no comparison. The Stamp 2 Rev B is fine - no changes other than PCB specifics to accommodate new parts. Our modules are essentially unchanged since their first day of release.

And yep, I voted for the right man! I can only hope you did as well!

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2004-11-03 20:51
    Ken,

Thanks for that. I have downloaded version 2.2 and I will use it from now on.

Didn't vote because I'm in the UK!

Regards

Teegee