Ir info

ArchiverArchiver Posts: 46,084
edited 2000-03-15 - 19:45:00 in Microcontrollers
I need to know how far, in feet that IR light can be sent and detected, when
used in
sunlight. I need an RX and TX unit that will be able to do this, Does anyone
know of ready
made units. I only need to check for a break in the beam, then check the second
beam for a
break calc. the speed.

Comments

  • ArchiverArchiver Posts: 46,084
    edited 2000-03-15 - 00:36:00
    Larry,

    Just an idea: Could you use garage-door interference detectors? They're
    very reliable over 10 feet or so... and probably cheap enough at building
    supply stores.

    At 02:49 PM 3/14/00 -0800, you wrote:
    >I need to know how far, in feet that IR light can be sent and detected,
    when used in
    >sunlight. I need an RX and TX unit that will be able to do this, Does
    anyone know of ready
    >made units. I only need to check for a break in the beam, then check the
    second beam for a
    >break calc. the speed.

    Mike Hardwick, for Decade Engineering -- <http://www.decadenet.com>
    Manufacturer of the famous BOB-II Serial Video Text Display Module!
  • ArchiverArchiver Posts: 46,084
    edited 2000-03-15 - 01:00:00
    I guess I could, I would like them to go about 100 ft I will look into that
    thanks

    Mike Hardwick wrote:
    >
    > Larry,
    >
    > Just an idea: Could you use garage-door interference detectors? They're
    > very reliable over 10 feet or so... and probably cheap enough at building
    > supply stores.
    >
    > At 02:49 PM 3/14/00 -0800, you wrote:
    > >I need to know how far, in feet that IR light can be sent and detected,
    > when used in
    > >sunlight. I need an RX and TX unit that will be able to do this, Does
    > anyone know of ready
    > >made units. I only need to check for a break in the beam, then check the
    > second beam for a
    > >break calc. the speed.
    >
    > Mike Hardwick, for Decade Engineering -- <http://www.decadenet.com>
    > Manufacturer of the famous BOB-II Serial Video Text Display Module!
    >
    >
    >
    > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/basicstamps
    > http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications
  • ArchiverArchiver Posts: 46,084
    edited 2000-03-15 - 01:24:00
    Larry,

    If you need to go 100 feet in sunlight, I would suggest a modulated laser
    diode source, and a detector that senses the only the AC component of the
    beam...

    Mike Hardwick, for Decade Engineering -- <http://www.decadenet.com>
    Manufacturer of the famous BOB-II Serial Video Text Display Module!
  • ArchiverArchiver Posts: 46,084
    edited 2000-03-15 - 02:20:00
    do you have any info on this type of unit, who what where. also is the light
    safe or could
    it hurt your eyes, say someone sat there looking into the sending unit.

    Mike Hardwick wrote:
    >
    > Larry,
    >
    > If you need to go 100 feet in sunlight, I would suggest a modulated laser
    > diode source, and a detector that senses the only the AC component of the
    > beam...
    >
    > Mike Hardwick, for Decade Engineering -- <http://www.decadenet.com>
    > Manufacturer of the famous BOB-II Serial Video Text Display Module!
    >
    >
    > -- Check out your group's private Chat room
    > -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=basicstamps&m=1
  • ArchiverArchiver Posts: 46,084
    edited 2000-03-15 - 03:30:00
    Larry:

    You may have seen this before, but Rentron's "Fire Stick" is a very good IR
    tx/rx with 100' range. I have one & am impressed with its solid indoor
    communication. I have not tried it in sunlight, but it may have a chance.
    It uses a Holtek coder & decoder and gives a "valid transmission" bit on
    receipt of a good signal. If you email Bruce Reynolds, he may have info on
    outdoor performance. Since its normal usage is pulsed mode, Bruce may have
    a recommendation for your application.

    Ray McArthur

    Original Message
    From: LarryGaminde <lgaminde@t...>
    To: 1 BASIC STAMP <basicstamps@egroups.com>
    Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2000 5:49 PM
    Subject: [noparse][[/noparse]basicstamps] IR INFO


    > I need to know how far, in feet that IR light can be sent and detected,
    when used in
    > sunlight. I need an RX and TX unit that will be able to do this, Does
    anyone know of ready
    > made units. I only need to check for a break in the beam, then check the
    second beam for a
    > break calc. the speed.
    >
    >
    > -- Check out your group's private Chat room
    > -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=basicstamps&m=1
    >
    >
  • ArchiverArchiver Posts: 46,084
    edited 2000-03-15 - 19:20:00
    Ray do you have Rentrons address I know I've been there but can't find it,
    Thanks. Iin fact
    I looked at there fire stick about three or four days ago, Man I getting so I
    can't remember
    what I had for breakfast, or did I.

    rjmca wrote:
    >
    > Larry:
    >
    > You may have seen this before, but Rentron's "Fire Stick" is a very good IR
    > tx/rx with 100' range. I have one & am impressed with its solid indoor
    > communication. I have not tried it in sunlight, but it may have a chance.
    > It uses a Holtek coder & decoder and gives a "valid transmission" bit on
    > receipt of a good signal. If you email Bruce Reynolds, he may have info on
    > outdoor performance. Since its normal usage is pulsed mode, Bruce may have
    > a recommendation for your application.
    >
    > Ray McArthur
    >
    >
    Original Message
    > From: LarryGaminde <lgaminde@t...>
    > To: 1 BASIC STAMP <basicstamps@egroups.com>
    > Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2000 5:49 PM
    > Subject: [noparse][[/noparse]basicstamps] IR INFO
    >
    > > I need to know how far, in feet that IR light can be sent and detected,
    > when used in
    > > sunlight. I need an RX and TX unit that will be able to do this, Does
    > anyone know of ready
    > > made units. I only need to check for a break in the beam, then check the
    > second beam for a
    > > break calc. the speed.
    > >
    > >
    > > -- Check out your group's private Chat room
    > > -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=basicstamps&m=1
    > >
    > >
    >
    >
    > eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/basicstamps/
    > http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications
  • ArchiverArchiver Posts: 46,084
    edited 2000-03-15 - 19:45:00
    Larry:

    I have the same problem, but at least I saved this info:
    http://www.rentron.com/Ser-Key.htm

    Ray McArthur

    Original Message
    From: LarryGaminde <lgaminde@t...>
    To: <basicstamps@eGroups.com>
    Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2000 2:20 PM
    Subject: [noparse][[/noparse]basicstamps] Re: IR INFO


    > Ray do you have Rentrons address I know I've been there but can't find it,
    Thanks. Iin fact
    > I looked at there fire stick about three or four days ago, Man I getting
    so I can't remember
    > what I had for breakfast, or did I.
Sign In or Register to comment.