Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Servo Power Problem — Parallax Forums

Servo Power Problem

QuorsavQuorsav Posts: 5
edited 2004-09-29 01:53 in Robotics
I have recently been playing around with a servo with my BS2e. When I attach the servo to my circuit and tell the program to run (using the same program as given in the pdf. file) the BS2e board·overheats. Do you·guys run the servos off the Vdd given by the stamp board or do you use an external power source·for the servos?

Thanks·

Comments

• AllanL5AllanL5 Posts: 12
    edited 2004-09-27 14:41
    The typical way to use a servo is with a 7.5 vDC wall-wart, install the jumper that connects the Vin from the wall-wart directly to the servo supply. The Servo then is getting its power directly from the wall-wart.

You CAN power the servo from Vdd, but as you saw, a servo takes a bit more current. You aren't trying to run the servo off the BS2e module's regulator, are you? At the very least, you need an external regulator (like a 7805 or 3840-5) for this to work at all.
  • Jonny555Jonny555 Posts: 46
    edited 2004-09-29 01:53
    All depends on the servos you are using. These micro servos might get fried if I ran them at 7.5v. Most hobby servos will pull around 100-250ma(varies alot) and 5v-7.5v, but ya wouldn't want to fry a servo so check the specs [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Since I needed the basic stamp to work on important things, I opted for a seperate servo controller. I couldn't find a MiniSSC-II anywhere so I picked up a great servo controller, the Parallax servo controller(PSC). This module is sweet, blinking lights and all. It has way more channels then i need(16) but maybe someday it will·be recycled into something that will require the extra channels.

Jonny

Post Edited (Jonny555) : 9/29/2004 1:56:20 AM GMT