Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
"Box" moving project.. need advise: — Parallax Forums

"Box" moving project.. need advise:

trendtrend Posts: 112
edited 2004-09-23 00:43 in Robotics
I need to lift a box that weights lets say 5 pounds, (27 7/8 wide and 4 inches tall, 3.5inches in depth) up and down about 36inches. This is actually a transportation device (much like a verital moving conveyor).

I kept thinking about my CNC building ideas. I thought I could do the above with the same parts you can use to make a CNC router. I was thinking 2 metal rods with linear ball bearings, a ballscrew, stepper motor, and a contact switch at the bottom that will tell that the box is down at the bottom.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Does this sound like a good idea? I am concerned about the speed.. I would like to be able to move the box up and down in 3-5seconds max.

thanks-Lee

Comments

• Joseph OsborneJoseph Osborne Posts: 13
    edited 2004-09-19 23:40
    Sounds to me as though it will work. Check specs on the ball screw that it can handle that speed. Also, I don't think you need a stepper motor, just limit switches top & bottom. Elevators use at least two switches, one for ramp-down, the other for full stop.
  • trendtrend Posts: 112
    edited 2004-09-20 02:58
    hmm.. That is a good idea to juse a dc motor with a brake on it. But isn't abreak on or off.. and wouldn't that cause some jurkyness? With stepper motors, can't I slow down the box before it needs to stop?

thanks-Lee
    edited 2004-09-22 02:54
    You can slow it down with DC motors also. Put in one limit switch (with a roller, just gets pushed out of the way) and have the logic cut the motor to the slow speed when it's made. Then have the second limit switch turn the motor off. I don't think you need brakes unless ths needs to be really precise.

Jos. Osborne
  • trendtrend Posts: 112
    edited 2004-09-22 06:45
    hmm.. oh. I was actually thinking about using a vertical belt and a motor at the bottom (well.or top) and having that drive the box up and down. Does anyone know where I can get a toothed head for a motor, get a belt, and get a roller fitted for the belt?

thanks-Lee
    edited 2004-09-23 00:43
    Stock Drive/Sterling Instruments- www.sdp-si.com

MSC Industrial Supply www.mscdirect.com

Jos. Osborne