Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wish list — Parallax Forums

Wish list

KenMKenM Posts: 657
edited 2004-08-17 14:48 in General Discussion
As the number of posts is starting to swell in the basic stamp forum is there a way to display unread posts on pages other than the current page, that shows up as bold?

I am aware of the option to subscribe to ANY new posts to the forum, however that does not suit my taste.

Just a suggestion, doesn't hurt to ask, right?

Ken Mathis

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2004-08-17 08:27
    Ken -

Here is just a general addendum to your request. As these threads get longer and longer, I can see the need for limiting the number of replies per web page. this makes no sense to broadband users, but for those of us with low-speed, dial-up connections, the wait for a page becomes more and more intolerable as the threads get longer and longer.

I just now went to examine a l-o-n-g thread, and it nearly took 2 minutes to load up before I could even look at the first reply. The reason why became apparent as I scrolled through page after page of replies.

It would be REAL NICE is this were user adustable, so only those who need it would be affected. Broadband users would end up with some high number by default, and we slow pokes could adjust it accordingly.

Bruce Bates
  • Jim EwaldJim Ewald Posts: 733
    edited 2004-08-17 11:05
    KenM,

How about adding a link at the top of Topics List page that enables a "Unread Messages" filter? Click on the link and the threads listed will contain one or more unread messages in each thread. Click on the link again, and the view reverts to a list of all threads.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Jim
    Parallax IT Dept.
  • Jim EwaldJim Ewald Posts: 733
    edited 2004-08-17 11:17
    Bruce,

The Topics List page has a pull-down that allow you to adjust the number of topics listed per page. If I understand correctly, you would like to see something similar on the page that lists the individual messages, like the page we're looking at right now. What would be a good bottom end value? Perhaps five posts per page? We could look at a single post per page, but I think your looking at more HTML to render the surrounding page than what is required to simply display the post.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the page load times will drop dramatically when we enable the feature that turns off all of the eye candy. Granted, I have already seen some posts (code listings, for example) that are huge. But I think performance will improve without so many graphics being rendered.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Jim
    Parallax IT Dept.
  • KenMKenM Posts: 657
    edited 2004-08-17 14:48
    IT Guy,

That would suit me well. I would hope that would also suit the majority of users.

Keep up the excellent support.

Ken Mathis
    IT Guy (Parallax) said...
    KenM,

How about adding a link at the top of Topics List page that enables a "Unread Messages" filter? Click on the link and the threads listed will contain one or more unread messages in each thread. Click on the link again, and the view reverts to a list of all threads.