Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Speed of Forum Access — Parallax Forums

Speed of Forum Access

Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
edited 2004-08-10 06:11 in General Discussion
Jim -

I've no idea what you did to increase the web page access speed, but this web forum is now lightening fast by comparison to even what it was last night! Keep up the GREAT WORK!

Regards,

Bruce Bates

Comments

• Jim EwaldJim Ewald Posts: 733
    edited 2004-08-09 18:01
    Bruce,

I wish I could take credit for the improved performance, but I didn't change anything ( as far as I know ) that would affect performance. I'm running perf tests on the servers now...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Jim
    Parallax IT Dept.
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2004-08-09 18:50
    Jim -

Without exaggeration, there is a 20-fold increase in the speed of access. I certanly have done nothing differnet on my end.·A good deal of it has to do with the screen refresh time going from thread to thread or forum to forum..

Just take the credit and be done with it :-)

Bruce
    edited 2004-08-09 19:31
    I'll bet your browser is caching all of the eye candy that this site generates. That would make a dramatic change. The screen should refresh within 2 seconds if you're on a broadband connection.

But I like your advice.

Thank you. I'm glad you are happy with the performance enhancements. Ok, I'm done. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Jim
    Parallax IT Dept.
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2004-08-09 21:50
    Jim -

Your'e probably right about the eye candy. Glad that's over an done with until the next time I clean out my browser cache. I don't think 33.6 KBPS dial-up qualifies as broadband smile.gif

Bruce
    edited 2004-08-09 22:07
    Not to worry, the next item on my hit-list, er, I mean my to-do list is to create a new option in the Control Panel to enable/disable various eye candy features. That should help those who connect though sub-light speed ISP circuits.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Jim
    Parallax IT Dept.
  • danieldaniel Posts: 231
    edited 2004-08-09 22:36
    >should help those who...

...do not like the visual clutter as well [noparse];)[/noparse]

Daniel
    edited 2004-08-10 00:19
    Exactly! Having the option to remove some of the graphics will help with the PDA folks too.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Jim
    Parallax IT Dept.
  • DntGvaShtDntGvaSht Posts: 65
    edited 2004-08-10 02:33
    I've mentioned this before,· thought I'd say it again [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    There's a little-known program out there called proxomitron, it's a proxy "web filter" that is especially useful for non-broadband users.

It has a feature called a noimages blockfile, and if you insert the following line into the blockfile:
    *forums.parallax.com*

it kills each and every image in the forums, DRAMATICALLY speeding up load times, as all you get is text.· This works for other candied-out websites too.· (not that i'm complaining, i love parallax's eye candy forum).

It's free and has no BS spyware/adware/popups.· Easily found by google search.

/hope this helps

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "OIOOIOOO OIIOOIOI OIIOIIOO OIIOIIOO OIIOIIII OOIOOOOO OIIIOIII OIIOIIII OIIIOOIO OIIOIIOO OIIOOIOO OOIOOOOI"
    schat.jpghttp://68.11.58.106:69/ircchat2/jicra-1.2.2/index-js.html

edited 2004-08-10 03:13
    A quick Google search reveals that the app is very good at what it does. Sadly, the author passed away last year and it appears that no one has taken up further development. So run it until your OS won't support it anymore.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Jim
    Parallax IT Dept.
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,160
    edited 2004-08-10 04:52
    Hello from Gregg C Levine aka Buck Rogers
    I hate to throw a smothering compound on this, but for me this forum does look to be working. Besides, I've got AT&T's DSL service here. However, if we can kill these idiotic Emoticons, and Post Icons, I'll be happy. Also the forum is sending me the messages set to UTF-8, and with·low priority set.

Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@att.net

"This signature is frequently mistaken for a super-hero."·
    edited 2004-08-10 05:29
    Help is on the way for members who don't want to be bothered with small, flashy, giffey things. We're working on a new Control Panel setting that allows one to disable emoticons and post icons.

I'll take a look at the email settings. I must have left some testing code in the software.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Jim
    Parallax IT Dept.
    edited 2004-08-10 06:11
    Gregg,

I have made some adjustments to the email headers to address the issues you raised. They should be more normal now.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Jim
    Parallax IT Dept.