Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
wish list - code library — Parallax Forums

wish list - code library

KlutchKlutch Posts: 9
edited 2004-08-06 13:59 in General Discussion
to whom it may concern @ parallax:

i see some others have tossed out wish list type requests, so i have a rather longwinded·one: a web based code library. ·perhaps·accessible through the main download page so that both·BASIC pros and us average joes could up/download neat stuff to.

PC and PIC·programmers greatly benfit from simply being able to call a prefab FFT or·graphics function up from a large library·- keeps them·from reinventing the wheel.· i have often wondered why parallax does not have their own?· perhaps the new forums will fill this void somewhat, but it would be nice to have in 1 dedicated place·a bunch of prefabbed tools for me to just grab and run with.· all id need to do is scan down the list looking for the type of function i needed, rather than trudging through emails/forums/archived emails.

a perfect example:· just the other day someone had asked about CRC (checksum) checking, and the ever present jon williams quickly responded with a posting of a snippet of code to perform just that function.· that is the kinda thing that i think could be chucked into the library for future use.· or the excellent math functions that dr. tracy allen has developed and made available(http://www.emesystems.com/BS2index.htm#math)·for smoothing or double precesion stuff (excellent site BTW!!)· or code interfacing to a given IC.· etc.

the forum/email is nice for general questions or support, but there just must be a ton of functions out there that could make other·users' project development·that much quicker/easier/broader/more useful.· if nothing else, it would really just be an extension of the EXCELLENT support and EXCELLENT freebie info (N&V, etc.) availability.

just my thoughts, anyone else feel this way or am i reaching a bit?
ross

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2004-08-05 02:05
    Klutch said...
    to whom it may concern @ parallax:
    i see some others have tossed out wish list type requests, so i have a rather longwinded·one: a web based code library. ·perhaps·accessible through the main download page so that both·BASIC pros and us average joes could up/download neat stuff to.
    I could agree with that...A central library of BS2 code would be nice...Somewhere...Especially sorted...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Knight Designs
    324 West Main Street
    P.O. Box 97
    Montour Falls, NY 14865
    (607) 535-6777

Business Page:·· http://www.knightdesigns.com
    Personal Page:··· http://www.lightlink.com/dream/chris
    ·
  • Jim EwaldJim Ewald Posts: 733
    edited 2004-08-05 04:30
    Ross,

I think it makes sense to have that kind of resource. There are details to work out, such as collecting and cataloging code samples, building web pages and setting up a section on an FTP server. I need to make some inquiries to see if those resources are available.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Jim
    Parallax IT Dept.
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2004-08-05 08:39
    Jim -

You might want to pass this thought by Jeff, since the original FTP site on the original Parallax Server had to be shutdown due to misuse and abuse. He should remember well the whys and where-fors that caused that sad loss of a valuable resource. If things have changed GREAT!

Bruce Bates
    edited 2004-08-05 13:23
    Oh, how things have changed. The trouble with world-readable and writeable FTP is the people who think it's ok to drop off copies of a few DVDs for their friends to pick up later. That's why you don't see a lot of FTP sites that permit unmetered uploads.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Jim
    Parallax IT Dept.
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2004-08-05 13:28
    I would think you should be able to head that off with checks for file type (text only...so far we have only indicated the request for library routines) and size (we all know how much Stamps can hold). And if anyone is going to encode a DVD into text, they have MUCH bigger issues <g>.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I used to be different, but now I'm the same...
    edited 2004-08-05 13:40
    FTP is not a very sophisticated protocol. It sees files as just a stream of bytes and doesn't really care what those bytes represent.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Jim
    Parallax IT Dept.
    edited 2004-08-05 19:59
    IT Guy (Parallax) said...
    FTP is not a very sophisticated protocol. It sees files as just a stream of bytes and doesn't really care what those bytes represent.
    Jim,

·· Being that the BS2 code files are so small anyway, I would be willing to host them on one of my sites...
    I could set up a page that has code broken down by module and then category...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Knight Designs
    324 West Main Street
    P.O. Box 97
    Montour Falls, NY 14865
    (607) 535-6777

·
    edited 2004-08-05 20:14
    I think it's a great idea. The difficulty at our end right now is finding a resource that will catalog and organize submissions. I don't see any issues with anyone volunteering to start this up. Parallax can provide the space on one of our FTP servers and we have plenty of bandwidth.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Jim
    Parallax IT Dept.
    edited 2004-08-05 20:21
    IT Guy,
    <bluesky = ON>
    Accept submissions into "write only" directory
    Daemon examines directory and moves files of type text to "read only" directory and others to "to be determined" directory

This should be relatively easy no matter what OS you inhabit.
    <bluesky = OFF>

Opinion?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2004-08-05 20:29
    Moving files from point a to point b is no problem. Organizing the files into a directory tree based upon function is a little more difficult without a lot of coding or some human intervention. The files need human readable descriptions to aid those looking for code.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Jim
    Parallax IT Dept.
    edited 2004-08-05 20:37
    IT Guy,

<bluesky = ON>
    Web submission form takes care of the "categorizing"
    Quick "couple of lines" program takes care of stuffing the appropriate info into a database
    Simple ASP, PHP, CGI (take your pick) generates the lookup pages
    <bluesky = OFF>

SMOP (small matter of programming) <g>

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2004-08-05 20:38
    Send code

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Jim
    Parallax IT Dept.
    edited 2004-08-05 20:41
    Gimme an OS, preferred DB,·preferred Language and let me know what your hosting with and I'll see what I can come up with...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • DntGvaShtDntGvaSht Posts: 65
    edited 2004-08-05 20:42
    2 cents:

How about a submission form, whereas when you submit a file, you select a few options that determine catagory, platform, etc etc and then when the form is submitted, file upload begins, and also another file or database entry is created referencing that file, so that the person who uploads would determine what part of the directory tree it goes in.· SQL database is preferable, so that codes can be searched and re-organized efficiently.

Edited:· Oh, seems like while i was typing this others posted the same [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "OIOOIOOO OIIOOIOI OIIOIIOO OIIOIIOO OIIOIIII OOIOOOOO OIIIOIII OIIOIIII OIIIOOIO OIIOIIOO OIIOOIOO OOIOOOOI"
    schat.jpghttp://68.11.58.106:69/ircchat2/jicra-1.2.2/index-js.html

edited 2004-08-05 20:55
    Ok, now we're getting somewhere. The target platform is Windows 2003 running the .Net Framework. We'll use a Sql Server 200 backend. The files are physically stored in a virtual directory which is accessable to both the FTP and IIS servers. The virtual path to each file is stored in the database, as are other interesting facts that will aid in searching. All access to database data is done through stored procedures.

At a minimum, we need a submission page, a search page, and a search results·page.

I forgot to add that we manage all of our servers. We don't use web hosting services.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Jim
    Parallax IT Dept.
    edited 2004-08-06 00:27
    IT Guy (Parallax) said...
    I think it's a great idea. The difficulty at our end right now is finding a resource that will catalog and organize submissions. I don't see any issues with anyone volunteering to start this up. Parallax can provide the space on one of our FTP servers and we have plenty of bandwidth.
    If I was going to do it, it would be via E-Mail submission, to an address such as: bs2code@knightdesigns.com
    And then I would post it where it needed to go.· I've done this in the past for small files for certain places.· I wouldn't want to access someone else's server.

smhair.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Knight Designs
    324 West Main Street
    P.O. Box 97
    Montour Falls, NY 14865
    (607) 535-6777

·
  • jakjrjakjr Posts: 88
    edited 2004-08-06 06:53
    Knock yourselves out... http://bscode.shihtzu-zoo.com/

Just email your code with a breif description of what it does, what stamp its for, a catagory etc.

EDIT- one more thing, if possible make a small schematic and send it with the code.

Post Edited (jakjr) : 8/6/2004 6:59:45 AM GMT
    edited 2004-08-06 13:26
    IT Guy,
    Thanks. With any luck, I'll actually get a couple of hours this weekend to cobble something up. Then you can let me know if I'm going in the direction that would satisfy most (sorry, I can't do all <g>).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2004-08-06 13:59
    I hope it goes well. I'll be off-line on Saturday but will check back on Sunday - it's an admin thing.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Jim
    Parallax IT Dept.