Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Thread Menu — Parallax Forums

Thread Menu

Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
edited 2004-08-04 10:31 in General Discussion
IT Guy, or whomever -

Perhaps the following thread menu could be added to the end of the page as well as having it at the top of the page. When one gets to the bottom of the page that's when one wants to change threads, and it seems unnecessary to have to scroll back up to the top of the page just to get to the next thread.

Existing thread menu:

"[noparse][[/noparse] [url=:doSubscribe('/forums/pop.aspx?w=10&a=1&f=10&m=760&p=1');]Subscribe to this thread.[/url] | Show Newest Post First ]" (shortened by forum software!)

Just a thought to save some time.

Problems with THIS message:

There appears to be a font change from one's chosen font to that of a pasted item, and no way to return to the original font (see directly above). There are apparently special meanings to certain characters which will cause parts of a pasted item to ... disappear! This could be a REAL problem in program listings which are being posted.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

Comments

• Jim EwaldJim Ewald Posts: 733
    edited 2004-08-01 15:20
    I agree that it's a chore to have to scroll back to the top of the page to reach the thread navigation links. Placing·thread navigation at the bottom of the page is on our to-do list. In the meantime, you can click the "Back to Top" link in any message to jump back to the top of the messages. The thread navigation is then readily accessable.

The disappearing text from the copy and past operation is triggered by an HTML anchor tag that is embedded in the link that was pasted. The error can be avoided by ensuring that the link is not enclosed in square brackets "[noparse][[/noparse] ]". This issue should never arise when pasting program listings, since there must be a combination of specific HTML tags and square brackets in the same line for the error to be triggered. I'll report the error to·dotNetBB.

As to the font change, can you provide the steps to reproduce this issue?

Regards,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Jim
    Parallax IT Dept.

Post Edited (IT Guy) : 8/1/2004 4:58:22 PM GMT
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2004-08-02 02:50
    Bruce Bates said...
    IT Guy, or whomever -

Perhaps the following thread menu could be added to the end of the page as well as having it at the top of the page. When one gets to the bottom of the page that's when one wants to change threads, and it seems unnecessary to have to scroll back up to the top of the page just to get to the next thread.
    I just hit the "Home" key on my keyboard...In IE at least, it takes me to the top of the page instantly.· Likewise, "End" takes you to the end...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Knight Designs
    324 West Main Street
    P.O. Box 97
    Montour Falls, NY 14865
    (607) 535-6777
  • Jim EwaldJim Ewald Posts: 733
    edited 2004-08-02 04:57
    Sometimes we get so focused on the mouse as a navigation device. Nice tip Chris!

btw... I have updated the code to include the thread navigation links at the bottom of the page. We're trying to complete a couple of other change requests before we install the update. Stay tuned.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Jim
    Parallax IT Dept.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2004-08-02 18:35
    IT Guy said...
    Sometimes we get so focused on the mouse as a navigation device. Nice tip Chris!
    Yeah, being a dinosaur...err...being around since pre-DOS days, I am very adept at keyboard shortcuts in everything...I never constrain myself to just the mouse in any windows app, but there are alot of keyboard shortcuts I use where I never see anyone else, such as hitting my DELETE key to delete a file, PAGE UP/DOWN keys for quickly getting through long Web Pages (Usually I just use my mouse auto-scroll) and ALT-F4 to close the current window (This is especially useful for those FULL-PAGE pop-up ads on some websites that don't give you any way to close them...Just press ALT-F4!).· Finally, I almost always use my CNTL-X, C & V keys for cut/copy/paste operations...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Knight Designs
    324 West Main Street
    P.O. Box 97
    Montour Falls, NY 14865
    (607) 535-6777
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2004-08-04 10:31
    Gents -

This is the same data as before, with the square brackets remaining, but if there are any HTML tags in there, I'll eat them. Let's see what it does:

[noparse][[/noparse] << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Subscribe to this thread. | Show Newest Post First ]

Looks good here! Thanks Jim!

Bruce