Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
LCD + KEYPAD + MODEM = a basic stamp solution ? — Parallax Forums

LCD + KEYPAD + MODEM = a basic stamp solution ?

robinetrobinet Posts: 2
edited 2004-08-03 19:01 in BASIC Stamp
Hello Everybody,

I am new to basic stamps but they look great.
I have to build a prototype where I need the basic stamp to access a small LCD panel (16x1 is enough), a 4x4 keypad and a modem.
Is it possible ?

Thanks for any help ... [noparse];)[/noparse]
Robert

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-08-03 16:17
    Yes -- check out our Nuts & Volts reprints; you'll find examples of all the items you're interested in working in there.

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/nvcolumns/Nuts_Volts_Downloads.asp

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2004-08-03 18:52
    The keypad and the LCD will be easy, especially with the help files that Jon recommended. The modem, in the world of online communication, there are all kinds of things that can go bump in the night. Once you get the connection going at a basic level you might have to consider possible error conditions. What are you trying to do?

-- Tracy

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • robinetrobinet Posts: 2
    edited 2004-08-03 19:01
    well, I want to build a stand-alone device, where a user can input a code using the keypad. The code is then sent by SMS using the built-in GSM modem, to a distant server, or maybe by GPRS. The server then answers back by SMS (or using a TCP/IP socket through GPRS) and the answer is displayed on the LCD panel.

More or less ... wink.gif

As I come more from the IT side, programming and using AT commands for the modem and so on is of no problem but I am a bit afraid of the I/O pins, soldering ... :-s
    I was thinking about using 1 serial port to communicate with the modem, one for programming/LCD display and 8 I/O pins to read a 4x4 keypad.

For the GPRS, I am maybe asking a bit too much to the basic stamp ...