Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller from China? No! [solved] — Parallax Forums

Propeller from China? No! [solved]

ManAtWorkManAtWork Posts: 2,074
edited 2021-04-07 15:04 in Propeller 1

I recently saw that RS components is selling propellers. They are even cheaper than Mouser if you buy whole trays. What made me wonder is the "country of origin" (german "Ursprungsland") field on the bill. It says "China"!?

I thought propellers were produced by AMS (Austrian micro systems) and packed at the Phillipines then tested and sold in the USA. I don't care, politically, because most parts come from far east theese days. But if propellers are available for cheap in China then I have to re-think my copy protection strategy. So far, I haven't cared much because chinese board assembly houses refuse to use propellers because they have to pay import customs fees.

Comments

• Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2021-04-07 12:25

The package they show doesn't look right at all.

• Hey: at least it has the right number of pins. I bought a tube of 10 VR’s once that were missing two of the five. Sometimes the grey market is useful just for its amusement value.

• RS Components is an official Parallax distributor. Seems to be more likely a clerical error.

That image of the chip has similar (perhaps even identical) ID markings to those that were used on the "unmarked" Propeller Chips from Parallax; they were sold some years ago but are no longer available. Perhaps somewhere along the line the representative chip image got some photoshop love!

Either way, if you are buying from RS Components, then you are getting official Parallax parts, and they are not made in China.

I'll let the relevant parties know pronto ! Thanks @ManAtWork .

• The official COO for the Propeller 1 chips is confirmed : Taiwan (used to be Austria)

• Ok, good to know, thanks.

BTW, the chips from RS haven't arrived, yet. In the past RS was very quick but now it suffers COVID or BREXIT delay...

• If I read that line from the listing above, that's a 19% tax on that part. Enough to go into flashbacks to Der Steuersong...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=mV5r7SwS-YY

• @"frank freedman" said:
    If I read that line from the listing above, that's a 19% tax on that part. Enough to go into flashbacks to Der Steuersong...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=mV5r7SwS-YY

A 19% tax seems cheap :). We have 23% here. If you're a registered VAT company, you can get it back anyway but if you are a private customer that hurts. A lot.

• ManAtWork,

I guess RS Components doesn't understand the "2 Chinas".

Taiwan is ROC (Republic of China).

China is PRC (People's Republic of China).