Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
And I just bought two items on the new site — Parallax Forums

And I just bought two items on the new site

Hello!
I just bought my first two items on the new site. They were the box, and the circuit overlay board .

One thing I forgot was that I'd need to create my User ID on the new site, but it did not. So off we went from there. The rest was easier then the old site might have been.

I'm thinking of turning one of my BoE boards in to a permanent test rig using the cable ideas for the TI83Plus calculator that I normally use when first setting up my Parallax work environment. I'll know more when the two arrive. Photos then!

Mascot asleep after assisting in the buying and the typing.

Comments

• Hello!
    Okay having gotten into the system to check on my order, the site said this:
    Order #(Order number) On Hold
    And what does that mean to me?

• Great choices, and thanks for the order!

On Hold means we've not processed it yet. We're getting around to fixing this; the delay is because we're working on web/biz software integration.

Ken Gracey

• @"Ken Gracey" said:
    Great choices, and thanks for the order!

On Hold means we've not processed it yet. We're getting around to fixing this; the delay is because we're working on web/biz software integration.

Ken Gracey

Hello!
    Thank you! And given the other problems, namely logging in, I can work with all of you on this. The box fascinated me from the very beginning. And depending on where this goes, it might even turn out to be a case of something else. Consider a shieldbot's BOE Shield but on a different platform with the same connectors. Then off we go from there.

As for the overlay board, I confess they looked interesting from day one. They still are.

• The circuit overlay board was the idea of @"John Kauffman" an educator in the Washington D.C. area who understands Parallax educational products very well. He created these to be able to quickly troubleshoot student's code and circuitry and to avoid the continual rebuild of commonly used robotic circuits.

As for the on-line ordering system, it has some issues. Yesterday I spoke with a customer who couldn't return to their cart to finish the order. We're aware of these things and @"Jim Ewald" is too. We're going to address all issues in time.

Ken Gracey

• @"Ken Gracey" said:
    The circuit overlay board was the idea of @"John Kauffman" an educator in the Washington D.C. area who understands Parallax educational products very well. He created these to be able to quickly troubleshoot student's code and circuitry and to avoid the continual rebuild of commonly used robotic circuits.

As for the on-line ordering system, it has some issues. Yesterday I spoke with a customer who couldn't return to their cart to finish the order. We're aware of these things and @"Jim Ewald" is too. We're going to address all issues in time.

Ken Gracey

Hello!
    Ken, it still says "Holding". Is it possible for someone at the firm to look at this and manually complete the order for me? As for payment... That's the problem if need be I'll call in tomorrow afternoon to go over everything.

• Good morning @"Buck Rogers" -
    Apologies for looping back so late, Certainly - I've got a sales person looking into this for us right now.

BRB - Ken

• @"Ken Gracey" said:
    Good morning @"Buck Rogers" -
    Apologies for looping back so late, Certainly - I've got a sales person looking into this for us right now.

BRB - Ken

Hello!
    Problem solved. The order is being processed and should be here in about a week.

But what is with the bobcat crowd examining the dumpsters near a school near the offices?

• @"Ken Gracey" said:

BRB - Ken

Hello!
    A follow up, there is a space on the order form for notes, it should say that these notes would not be made available to the methods of delivery. So the note that I put down was indeed the cause, and caused some confusion to the excellent sales person who caught it. But it got solved and the package is on its way here.

But that does not account for the invasion of bobcats.

• @"Buck Rogers" said:

Bobcats? Where? Taking your packages off your front door step?

Ken

• @"Ken Gracey" said:

@"Buck Rogers" said:

Bobcats? Where? Taking your packages off your front door step?

Ken

No, no. The bobcats are there to examine the dumpsters and remove the leftovers. After all mountain lions have been doing it in the Foothills area of LA for years.

• well @"Buck Rogers" if you met them in person you will really fast find out about the size difference of bobcats and mountain lions. And them lions are quite faster.

Here in CA at my mums place we had bears robbing the garbage, at my current place farther down in the small town I do not have that problem at all, the cats running around here are of the domestic kind.

Just dangerous ladders,

Enjoy!

Mike

• @msrobots said:
    well @"Buck Rogers" if you met them in person you will really fast find out about the size difference of bobcats and mountain lions. And them lions are quite faster.

Here in CA at my mums place we had bears robbing the garbage, at my current place farther down in the small town I do not have that problem at all, the cats running around here are of the domestic kind.

Just dangerous ladders,

Enjoy!

Mike

Actually Mike the bobcat looks better. The lion crowd is just faster because they've been working harder at it. Oh and the bears have been doing that because they've been taking lessons from the ones in NJ. Actual size of the bobcat is just under the size of a fully grown Maine Coon cat. And the Mainers look better.

• @"Ken Gracey" said:

BRB - Ken

Hello!
    And wonderful news. The order arrived today instead of waiting in Maspeth until Monday. They originally thought delivery would be Friday, (yesterday) but I believe they contrived an excuse to keep the package in Maspeth for the weekend. Then checking my doorstop I found the box there.

• Hello!
    On a different discussion aim, for the box. I saw its video for the BoE. An interesting concept.

• Buck Rogers:

Well, show us the project! You must've ordered these parts with something specific in mind.

What are you building?

Ken

• Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,160
    edited 2021-03-15 14:30

@"Ken Gracey" said:
    Buck Rogers:

Well, show us the project! You must've ordered these parts with something specific in mind.

What are you building?

Ken

Hello!
    A great question. According to the pages for the Sense Box, the container can be used to hold a Shield Bot's , ah, Shield, and the thing it's installed on. I don't grok* that dialect, but I do grok * the ones for the NetDuino, so it might be that holding the Shield.

Since there are regular headers on the top of the Shield, and I typically attach a Prototype one there to hold the other part of my great Experiment I wondered if the spacing between the two attached devices and the lid would allow for a second one to be installed there. (With other chips installed.) Which was the second idea behind buying one.
    Right now I'm gathering the stuff for prototyping the whole business. The circuit and the programming for both, and even the general layout. But photos and a general better description will follow.

It turns out that about the time the whole idea of installing the BoE inside a plastic box when Parallax carried the original ideas for that one, caused this whole idea. Naturally it needed the right moment.

• From Stranger In A Strange Land by Robert A Heinlein. It's a Martian word, from his Martians that means to understand someone or even something perfectly.
  • Okay. I just finished running my "Stamp2 talking to a Netduino who is toggling bits inside a PAL16L8 device" program on the Stamp2. Sadly, the stamp program worked right off after a few adjustments. It just kept gathering garbage.

What would have gone inside the box would have been the Netduino wearing that Board of Ed Shield, and with the appropriate PAL chip on its breadboard.

This thread's done. So any comments to it are welcome, but not needed.