Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 Edge Connector vertical through-hole part no. — Parallax Forums

P2 Edge Connector vertical through-hole part no.

VBBSimVBBSim Posts: 37
edited 2020-11-03 11:02 in Propeller 2
I am excited about this P2 Edge concept and designing a product using the P2 edge connector.

I have found the 80-pin right angle micro-bit connector readily available by don't seem to be able to find the through-hole vertical connector.

Is there a part-no I can use to find this : Prefer Mouser or DigiKey or if parallax is reselling.

Thanks

Comments

• The Edge product guide has both part numbers. Parallax will be stocking.

I could post the datasheet links later if that's any help.
  • Suitable connectors will be available from the Parallax webshop:
    450-00308 - Card Edge Socket, Through Hole, Right Angle
    450-00310 - Card Edge Socket, Through Hole, Vertical

OK I see the parallax #part no's. This is a future product I suppose. I don't mind buying from parallax but if there was a alt-supplier like mouser would also be useful.

I want to assembly a prototype ASAP so I hope will be available from parallax soon.
  • In one of the latest Zoom-Meetings Ken stated that Mouser/Digikey will stock a bunch of P2 stuff, so lets hope this will work out now in November.

Enjoy!

Mike
  • > They're not cheap.

Ouch.. I was expecting something more in line with the micro-bit right-angle connector which is $<2 from spark-fun and others. I hope the parallax version will sell for more like that ( ~$2 ) otherwise I will have to rethink this..
  • Yeah, I haven't been able to find any of those yet. I try to stay away for the Chinese stuff. I was just looking for good footprints and 3D models for KiCAD. I'll probably pick up a few from Parallax when they're available.
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,924
    edited 2020-11-05 17:17
    Sullins connectors are good, but not cheap. BTW, that's a beautiful render of your design. Is that directly from KiCAD?
  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,278
    edited 2020-11-05 16:33
    VBBSim wrote: »
    > They're not cheap.

Ouch.. I was expecting something more in line with the micro-bit right-angle connector which is $<2 from spark-fun and others. I hope the parallax version will sell for more like that ( ~$2 ) otherwise I will have to rethink this..

Seems you missed the news.... but it's been stated a few times in various places that Parallax will have BOTH the connectors in the new store, and will be priced low for customers, similar to the $2 estimate on singles.

They are already in stock, so if there is an urgent need you could PM me your requirements and I can connect you with a solution. It's just not been possible to get them on the old webstore whilst that's being retired/converted.

The new webstore is coming 2nd or 3rd week of November by current schedule. Where you will be able to order many new parts, including P2 Edge module, both vertical and right-angle connectors and 3 types of breakout or adapter modules, 64018, 64019 and the JonnyMac breadboard 64020. There's also the mikroBus click adapter 64008 and WX Wifi adapter 64007 too- all ready in stock for the new site!

Now we just hope Ken can keep himself from distraction to help push that project to completion ASAP! Go Go Ken!
  • octettaoctetta Posts: 123
    edited 2020-11-05 18:36
    When will the P2 Edge Mini Breakout Board (p/n 64019) be available?
  • octetta wrote: »
    When will the P2 Edge Mini Breakout Board (p/n 64019) be available?

Apologies for attempting to answer my own question... the thread forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1508583/#Comment_1508583 may imply this board availability mid-November.
  • We will offer the connectors for around $2 or less - coming in about a week.

If you don't want to wait, you can order them by calling in and providing the part numbers:

450-00310 80-pin Edge Connector Socket, Straight
    450-00308 80-pin Edge Connector Socket, Right-Angle

I've posted the datasheets on the P2 Live Forum chat logs several times. Maybe somebody can find them and post them here, or PM me if not easily located. I'm just a bit busy this morning.

Ken Gracey
  • CJMJCJMJ Posts: 225
    edited 2020-11-07 13:39
    @JonnyMac Yep. The renderings are directly from KiCAD using their 3D viewer's raytracing option. I really like this tool. I've also used the tool to create my own custom symbols and footprints. They promote FreeCAD for making the 3D models, however, I prefer to use TurboCAD for my custom 3D models that I then import as STEP objects. FreeCAD is a powerful parametric modeler but it has a steep learning curve that I'm still climbing. The most time consuming part of the process is finding the symbols, footprints, and 3D models in KiCAD's libraries. The only design I haven't been able to raytrace yet is my reimagined design of Micro Crystal's RV-3028-C7's development board as a small Parallax P2-ES Eval Accessory board. Every time I try to raytrace the 3D image KiCAD blows up.
    2734 x 1643 - 118K
    2734 x 1643 - 238K
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,861

I've been on the fence about using the edge module versus my own layout...

But, the SMT connector in the store, may have just made me want to start using it:
    https://www.parallax.com/product/80-pin-edge-connector-socket-straight-smt/

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2021-03-05 15:18

@Rayman said:
    I've been on the fence about using the edge module versus my own layout...

But, the SMT connector in the store, may have just made me want to start using it:
    https://www.parallax.com/product/80-pin-edge-connector-socket-straight-smt/

That surface-mount connector makes it much easier to route a PCB than the through-hole version does.