Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Lots of P2s have been sold; check out Chip's new boat! — Parallax Forums

Lots of P2s have been sold; check out Chip's new boat!

The new boat also has a dozen P2s in the instrumentation system.

For those who don't know Chip, this is the last thing he'd do. The closest thing to a yacht in Chip's neighborhood would be a pontoon party boat.

But, for those interested, our name and logo have been borrowed and now carefully adorn a $2.M yacht - which you can buy.

https://www.northropandjohnson.com/yachts-for-sale/parallax-80-azimut

Are we going to argue with them? No. This kind of thing is a battle of wills and money. Whoever owns that boat is well-funded and keeps lawyers on the payroll.

Ken Gracey

Comments

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069

Well, if someone asks if Parallax is a small company, you can point to this boat ;)

• I’ll just say this and then let it go: in cases regarding patents, trademarks or intellectual property, if you allow this sort of theft to happen without even a token fight (a cease and desist letter), then you will regret it as your IP becomes diluted and becomes part of the public domain.

This needs to be brought to the attention of your corporate counsel immediately and a letter issued. You dont have the option of selective enforcement.

It is time to call your lawyer, Ken.

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2021-03-04 03:03

@JRoark said:
    It is time to call your lawyer, Ken.

Lots of choices about where we direct the cease and desist letter to: https://www.northropandjohnson.com/contact

We could use some settlement funds to help get a few things accomplished. I'll pass this on, but won't have time to get sucked into the vortex.

Ken Gracey

• Just tell them you'll take the yacht as payment ;-)

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2021-03-04 03:38

We just changed our logo, anyway. I wouldn't pursue this. Emulation is the sincerest form of flattery, they say. They can use the name. I only wonder who had their boat named so. They obviously saw our logo somewhere. Maybe a customer?

Like I said, I would not bother with lawyers. At most, I would unilaterally grant them permission to use our logo on that boat. No need to get hostile with someone who maybe likes you. There's plenty of bad vibes in the world, already. This is just kind of interesting. I only wonder what the story behind it is.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,188
    edited 2021-03-04 03:47

I'm guessing the boat owners have no idea it is copied from anywhere. I bet they were shown a selection of different logos by the sign writers and said they liked this one. The sign writers wouldn't have let on that they'd scraped the lot off the Internet.

edited 2021-03-04 03:50

@evanh said:
    I'm guessing the boat owners have no idea it is copied from anywhere. I bet they were shown a selection of different logos by the sign writers and said they liked this one. The sign writers wouldn't have let on that they'd scraped the lot off the Internet.

That's most likely, it seems. Boring, too.

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2021-03-04 04:37

I think it's great! Why would you argue with free advertising? After all, people wear Parallax T-shirts and hats. Maybe you could send some to the boat's owner! Start the cover letter: "We're so thrilled that you've chosen to advertise our company that we're enclosing some bling for you to wear ashore." (I'm guessing that the shirt size will be at least XL.)

Now Chip should be required to wear one of these when doing presentations:

-Phil

@cgracey said:
    Boring, too.

Certainly the less dramatic option, but I certainly find interest in discovering the natural fit. You could say I've made it a paying job even. I like to say I'm a troubleshooter when I have a big success. That creates drama. :D

@cgracey said:
    ... At most, I would unilaterally grant them permission to use our logo on that boat. No need to get hostile with someone who maybe likes you.

Good solution. It covers the legal and also gives them a story to tell their friends out on the boat.

@"Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)" said:
    I think it's great! Why would you argue with free advertising? After all, people wear Parallax T-shirts and hats. Maybe you could send some to the boat's owner! Start the cover letter: "We're so thrilled that you've chosen to advertise our company that we're enclosing some bling for you to wear ashore." (I'm guessing that the shirt size will be at least XL.)

Now Chip should be required to wear one of these when doing presentations:

-Phil

I want you to wear that hat and pilot the P2.

• Chip's Ahoy would be cooler, anyway. 😁

• @Mickster said:
    Chip's Ahoy would be cooler, anyway. 😁

One of Chip's nicknames is Skippy.

• The market niche that this type of product occupies usually demands a certain "exclusivity"; kind of a vanity fair. Any similarities to items produced in series are often interpreted as unpleasant obviousities.

If the owner receives some samples that include, for example, Propeller 1, in antistatic bags from those that still have the old logo, accompanied by a kind note, such as: "Made in the USA in Rocklin, CA. Sincerely: Ken Gracye , CEO ".

If he is a person with an excellent sense of humor, he will promote Parallax in his circle of friends, as if he had launched a new fashion.

Otherwise, the yacht will be sent to the shipyard of origin, for a complete overhaul. :lol:

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,892

Found something saying built in Italy

• @Rayman : Very likely built in Italy since https://it.azimutyachts.com/ it's a quite big famous yacht builder here in Italy

• K2K2 Posts: 691

1585 gallons of fuel at economy cruise will only get the famn damily half way to Hawaii. Bummer! Guess we'll have to keep looking.

• @cgracey said:
    We just changed our logo, anyway. I wouldn't pursue this. Emulation is the sincerest form of flattery, they say. They can use the name. I only wonder who had their boat named so. They obviously saw our logo somewhere. Maybe a customer?

Like I said, I would not bother with lawyers. At most, I would unilaterally grant them permission to use our logo on that boat. No need to get hostile with someone who maybe likes you. There's plenty of bad vibes in the world, already. This is just kind of interesting. I only wonder what the story behind it is.

Be a little careful. If you show an unwillingness to defend your IP, there are plenty of people that will steal it, ultimately forcing you to defend yourself. I'm not suggesting a court battle, but a letter (creates paper trail) to the owner of the boat and the sales agent stating that the logo is your property and being used without permission will at least demonstrate that you will defend your IP.

@K2 said:
    1585 gallons of fuel at economy cruise will only get the famn damily half way to Hawaii. Bummer! Guess we'll have to keep looking.

And the fresh water storage was only something like 450 gallons.

• @JonnyMac said:

@cgracey said:

Be a little careful. If you show an unwillingness to defend your IP, there are plenty of people that will steal it, ultimately forcing you to defend yourself. I'm not suggesting a court battle, but a letter (creates paper trail) to the owner of the boat and the sales agent stating that the logo is your property and being used without permission will at least demonstrate that you will defend your IP.

I agree with Jonnymac, you need to demonstrate with a paper trail that the logo is your property and is being used without permission. This is probably a one-of name usage on a yacht, but you never know. Even though it is a pain and costs money you will need to send the papers with some kind of confirmation that the entities in question did indeed receive what you sent.

• I still think a less lawyerly approach would work best. Send them a letter thanking them for advertising Parallax by using Parallax's logo, and include some T-shirts and hats with the same logo, along with some company brochures. It does two things:

1. It informs them of the logo's ownership, and
    2. It extends a hand of friendship to the "infringing" party.

With a multi-million-dollar yacht, they must surely have better lawyers than Parallax can afford. Why even hint that it's considered a legal matter? Besides, it's not like Parallax uses that logo anymore on new products and literature.

However, I did read an article about the Cleveland Indians' mascot, "Chief Wahoo", which the organization retired a couple seasons ago. He's no longer used on their uniforms, caps, and literature. But it's still possible to purchase Chief Wahoo memorabilia in the team's stadium gift shop. Why? Because if you entirely give up using a trademark, you give up all rights to it, and anyone else can grab it. The team did not want Chief Wahoo items being marketed by any third parties, thus negating his retirement.

-Phil

• ErNaErNa Posts: 1,742
    edited 2021-03-05 08:29

Make them expand the Parallax Logo with an P2 logo! Use the made in USA card. Never feed trolls or laywers if possible ;-)

• I am with Phil. Send them something, "granting permission", even if it is tacit, implied.

Besides, who knows? Maybe the boat owner has no idea and sees the stuff and has family, friends who get interested.

If you do send it, make "their" logo prominent so they will be sure and take a look.

• I was thinking along the lines of a license to use in exchange for a donation to https://www.parallax.com/education/future-innovators-fund/

The first donations go out today, by the way!

Ken Gracey

• Yeah, perfect.

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,892

My guess is the owner is dead and his estate is the one selling it

• I would drop a note to the owner or seller saying by the way that's our copy writed logo on your boat, would you mind adding the letters P2 to it.

• ... and some of our props, to go with those already on the motors!